Locking "nuts" for Volk wheels?

Jacko

Guys,

Once I get my wheels from Baptist, I'm going to need some "locking nuts" or equivalent for the Volks.

I believe from info from Bap, that the Volks come with an allen key type nut that requires a special adapter. Does this mean that the thread etc is different to standard nuts?

Anyone got any ideas where I can get some etc?

:wacko:

Might wanna clarify with Bap mate, I'd imagine the allen key type fixing might be to access the nuts - know what I mean kind of like a cover over them?

No the nuts themselves have a special allen key type nut I think, but he's giving me the nuts and adapter with the wheels. But these don't lock as such, therefore I'm looking for additional security.

But until I actually see them in person, then its difficult for me to visualise what options I have around locking etc.

Does that make sense?

Might wanna clarify with Bap mate, I'd imagine the allen key type fixing might be to access the nuts - know what I mean kind of like a cover over them?

No the nuts themselves have a special allen key type nut I think, but he's giving me the nuts and adapter with the wheels. But these don't lock as such, therefore I'm looking for additional security.

But until I actually see them in person, then its difficult for me to visualise what options I have around locking etc.

Does that make sense?

Makes sense mate, plus with your other post thats what I was thinking, gotta be the same thread. Might just be that the bolts need a special adapter to get them off or more likely start them off (wouldn't fancy having to try to get a bolt off with an allen key!!), which might be enough security anyway. If not sure Halfords will prob have something that'll work.

McGard is what you are looking for Jacko....

I have a set of locking wheel nuts from mcgard on my wheels, but what you need to be careful with is the size of the nuts, mine are skinnier than oem ones for example

Also my Work nuts have an adapter that slots into the tool we have on the Z to take the oem nuts off

I'll tell you now those mcgards are a bit hard to get off without the right tools! :blush:

Also, make sure whatever type of locking wheel nut you get, you dont have them tightened up with an impact wrench. That can break the mcgards keys, which will leave you in a mess.

Always tighten any locking wheel nut by hand to avoid damage to the nut and or special key.

No it isnt. You need the ones that are specifically made by Volks for the GT series wheels.

I'll get you some pictures when I get a minute, Jacko.

Took me a while to track these down, nobody keeps them in stock (or didnt when i bought them) in the US. But they can be sourced.

Like I say, I'll get you more details tomorrow. ;)

No it isnt. You need the ones that are specifically made by Volks for the GT series wheels.

Took me a while to track these down, nobody keeps them in stock (or didnt when i bought them) in the US. But they can be sourced.

Thanks Baptist, let me know and I'll pm you my email address if you want.

Also at the same time, if you know what these things are called then I can start trying to source them.....

Thanks all anyway,

That'll learn ya for buying posh wheels Jacko :p

so what you are saying is that NO mcgards will fit volk gt series wheels???

Contact Gaz at envy performance ...... and get the mcguard lockers ..... he sorted mine out for my Volks SF Winning ..... they're slightly smaller than the standard lockers that came withthe car but the thread size is still the same !!!!!!!! Gaz'll know what you need mate ..... and if by some chance he cocks up he'll swap em over for you. Actually ..... if you're going to JAE, envy will have a stand there ...... you could even pick them up and save postage !!!!!!

Guest prescience
Contact Gaz at envy performance ...... and get the mcguard lockers ..... he sorted mine out for my Volks SF Winning ..... they're slightly smaller than the standard lockers that came withthe car but the thread size is still the same !!!!!!!! Gaz'll know what you need mate ..... and if by some chance he cocks up he'll swap em over for you. Actually ..... if you're going to JAE, envy will have a stand there ...... you could even pick them up and save postage !!!!!!

Glyn, I agree with your comments in general above but perhaps there is an issue with the specific Volks wheels which Jon (baptist) is selling. When you say they are slightly smaller, that is not quite what I found, I found that the Rays locknut would not fit within the SF Challenge unit not due to the overall diameter (I have just checked these back to back and they are the same) but due to the metal of the McGards supplied with the Volks nut being slightly thicker (the collar part) and thus the Rays locknut would not pass through the outer opening.

strange though that only on a specific set of volks, you can't use mcgard for locking wheel nuts...

on mine, of course std wheel nuts and also the mcgards that come with the car won't fit, due to the completely different size of the holes!

but you can still buy mcgards that fit through those holes.

Glyn, I agree with your comments in general above but perhaps there is an issue with the specific Volks wheels which Jon (baptist) is selling. When you say they are slightly smaller, that is not quite what I found, I found that the Rays locknut would not fit within the SF Challenge unit not due to the overall diameter (I have just checked these back to back and they are the same) but due to the metal of the McGards supplied with the Volks nut being slightly thicker (the collar part) and thus the Rays locknut would not pass through the outer opening.

ok chaps, thanks..... I'll give him a call and see.

But I know Bap is taking some photos tomo to show me so should know more then......

But will give Gaz a try! :thumbs: