Evo Mag again: 350z vs New Audi TT

Jacko

Guys,

I know that its been mentioned about the 350z in the letters page of Evo this month, but thought I'd let you know that there is a full road test with '06 model versus new Audi TT...... page 80.

I haven't got a scanner and can't type the whole thing in. Most of the test is about the new TT obviously but here is the end sections (and yes I typed it in for you all :D) :-

The 350z feels so alive, and this 2006-spec car (the first i've tried) is the best Z i've driven. It just seems to have had all the rough edges polished away, and the engine and damping feel wondefully oiled.

Interestingly, it isn't as resistant to understeer as the the TT is on this surface, and if you simply drive to the limits of the front tyres, as you do in the Audi, its the German car that holds a good speed advantage and is actually more satisfying. The Nissan's big 3.5-lire V6 doesn't feel a full 50bhp stronger either, but the beauty of the Z, as should be the case with any sports car, is its ability when you really start to work the chassis and dictate the car's attitude with the throttle. I'm not talking heroic opposite-lock stuff, but more that feeling of the car being alert to your inputs and gently shifting its balance everytime you ask it to. To use a Martin Brundleism, the 350z feels right underneath you. Not in the sense that there's endless grip, just that you have endless options. And that means endless fun.

We couldn't have predicted that the new 350z would be such a perfect foil to the new TT, but for two cars with similar mission statements, they couldn't perform more differently. The Audi has the edge in terms of grip, traction and braking power. and it feels much more expensive; the Nissan is the entertainer, willing to forego absolute point-to-point speed in order to entertain, always fizzing with feedback. The TT is a triumph for Audi, almost unrecognisable from the original car in its dynamic make-up. but while there are cars like the 350z around, Audi will have to work a bit harder to win over the enthusiasts it so dearly wants to court. Maybe a RS TT would hit the spot...

Bottom line (out of 5):

Audi TT 3.2 - 4.5 stars

Nissan 350z '06 - 5 Stars

:thumbs:B)

Nice one.

Have to agree with the analysis of the Z, although I've only got the 2004 280bhp flavour - the engine (in NA form ;)) doesn't feel as powerful as I expected when you get down to some real driving, and the brembo's are less than awe-inspiring! Think the brakes should be sorted with decent pads, and then maybe a couple of turbo's when the bank manager agrees...?

It's wonderful to drive though- that Bose sound system is a waste of money - I've yet to use it... the windows are always down, and I use any excuse to downshift and make that V6 howl :yahoo:!!!!!!!!

Nice one.

Have to agree with the analysis of the Z, although I've only got the 2004 280bhp flavour - the engine (in NA form ;)) doesn't feel as powerful as I expected when you get down to some real driving, and the brembo's are less than awe-inspiring! Think the brakes should be sorted with decent pads, and then maybe a couple of turbo's when the bank manager agrees...?

It's wonderful to drive though- that Bose sound system is a waste of money - I've yet to use it... the windows are always down, and I use any excuse to downshift and make that V6 howl :yahoo:!!!!!!!!

Yeah I know what you mean about feeling as powerful as you thought it would. I really thought it would blow my mind, but the thing is, its a more discreet power delivery..... its still quick, just doesn't feeel mindblowingly stupidly quick.....

But it brings a smile to my face everytime, which is why I bought it! :teeth:

PS. I'll be uprating the brakes with some newer pads as well when these die out.