Squeaky brakes

Shaun1982

Hi guys,since picking the car up nearly 2 weeks ago ive had the most annoying,and embarrassing high pitch rather loud squeak! if i brake gently i can get away without the noise most times,same as if i brake hard.It just so happens that it wants to do it under the 'normal' amount of braking :rant:

Anyone throw ideas this way as to what could be the problem?Had a look at the front pads and they look pretty new,discs look ok too unless ive overlooked something.

Cheers in advance people

Shaun

Oh yeah,itd help if i said it sounds like its just the left front :thumbs:

Cheers CS,im sure thats already been done though,i had two new front tyres put on last week & got him to check them then,took the caliper off,popped both pads out,both look brand new near enough.bloody bone dry though so he refitted them with copper grease but it hasnt stopped.lol

Thanks M13KYF ill do a search now ;)

Thinking about it i didnt once hear them squuek when i went to see the car or when he took it out,maybe hes just had them in,didnt tell me about them.If thats the case then the 90mph he did when he took my dad out in it wouldnt of helped wer them in would it :scare:

If they are good and greased, get out and bed them in properly. Search "bedding in procedure" on here, basically a series of 70-30MPH brakes (hard but not hard enough to set ABS off) but get them warmed up before you do it. That should cure it.

Well after spending pretty much all day cleaning the car i went out & filled her up,did the procedure a few times down the dual carriageway(empty by the way ;) ) then again on the way home back down there & i must say pulling into my street and the drive i dont recall hearing any squeeling so hopefully problem solved.

Wel see tomorow morning though.lol

• 4 weeks later...

I got the exact same problem as you Shaun. As of 2 days ago, i fitted Yellow Stuff pads all round (tnx CS :D). My discs are fine, plenty of life. I've done the bedding in procedure several times now and im still squeeking.

Dont know if its just a case of me not having had them on long enough but the only thing i can think is on my discs, there is a tiny (<1mm) lip on the edges and i think the pads are rubbing on it. Either way should i just continue to drive as normal and the pads will settle in or should i have my friend resurface the discs?

Alls i know is i felt a right plonker driving through Maccies Drive Thru today :D