Shorted my car :(

danZman

Was changing the standard CD player for my own one this weekend, shortly after I noticed that my indicator stalk wasn't working, and neither was my window wiper stalk.

Confused as hell, I decided to investigate, found that the ariel I had forgot to plug in had earthed itself to a metal box infront of the gearstick behind the dash. Wrapped a bit of electrical tape around it and all of a sudden its fixed.

Woohooo I thought :#1: ....short lived that was. :yuck:

So after I plugged the loose ariel connection into the cd player where it was supposed to go thinking everything was ok now but the same problem happened....

Took the ariel connection back out and wrapped it in electrical tape as before and the problem fixed itself again....

Im confused, what have I done? It cant be shorting itself in the cd player where its supposed to go!?

Pretty sure if its anything like other nissans it needs a seperate earth. If you solder a lenght of wire onto the black earth wire on the cd players loom then run it to a good earthing point again if the Z is the same as other nissans then earth it to a 10mm bolt that holds the bot on round the gearstick not the leather one but the rubber one attached to the transmission tunnel! sorry if that is not very clear lol

coops