5th Gear Crunch.

MattMe

Hi guys, long time no post...

I've been doing a few (thousand) miles in the 350z for work recently and I think the few miles have put a strain on her :(

Just yesterday I noticed a crunch when going into 5th. Thought I might just have not pushed the clutch all the way down but it seems to do it 90% of the time now. I found if I change slowly (ie take it out of 4th, into neutral, then slowly into 5th) it won't do it as often, but I do one swift motion it nearly always does it. I guess this is similar to the 4th into 6th problem with the syncromesh but nobody else sems to have posted about it only being from 4th into 5th. Any ideas on what this might be? (please let it be cheap!)

Also go some knocking from the front suspension I need to have a look at as well as new tyres all round :(

I'm so not a happy Zed owner at the minute...

Thanks guys.

may be the gearbox issue. Some member in the past had there gearboxes re0placed under warranty

do a search under gearbox or syncro :)

But with my car being around 2 years out of warranty I guess that makes me bankrupt?

Is there any outside chance that it's an issue that won't require a gearbox rebuild or replacement? I'm guessing with how specific and regular the sound it that the syncro is about the only thing it could be.

Darn.

first thing to perhaps do is get Nissan to have a look at the problem and see what they diagnose. A coouple of chaps on here may be able to get you a gearbox far cheaper than nissan will charge if its the problem. ZMANALEX may be able to help with you out more technically. Send him a pm

I had the same issue and decided to get it repared. Nissan would charge a minimum of 1000 Pounds in my case (Netherlands though). I got it fixed via a mechanic who works more often on gear boxes for a better price.

Alex' gearboxes sound like a good option.