DVD and Nav unit queries

lasjholl

I'm after a bit of clarification on a matter that I know has been covered before in other posts, but I'm new to all this and need things spelling out. Hope that is OK and there is a kindly 350Z expert out there ready to go over it one more time.

So here's the thing:

Just bought a 2003 'Z imported from Japan and registered here in '07.

The car is loaded with what appears to be a TV, DVD, and SatNav, with a Bose CD/Radio.

1. Can't get anything to appear on the screen, no matter which of the Japanese labelled buttons I press. Surely, just taking the car to another country can't render the unit totally inoperable?

2. No signal received through the tuner. I've heard I need a wave expander. True? Where from?

3. When you insert a DVD in the drive behind the driver's seat, it seems keen to read it and makes the right noises, but nothing happens.

4. I can get a CD to load, but playback is erratic and starts jumping around for no obvious reason.

5. My naive logic suggests that as it is a Japanese car, all I need to do is load a UK-version of the NAV disc and the Sat Nav will spring into life. How wrong am I?

If you can shed any light on these matters I'd really appreciate your advice. I'm expecting some bad news, but there must be some answers to cheer me up!

If it turns out that I am in the embarassing situation of having a useless and redundant screen in the middle of my dashboard, any ideas what I can do to replace it without spending much cash?

If you guys can't help, I'm stuck!

I can feel your pain, I had exactly the same issue when I bought my JDM :rant: . There is no way of changing the current equipment you have to work. I have just had the screen taken out and had a touch screen installed in the cubby. It looks totally stock and works great :yahoo: . I have taken the DVD unit out from behind the drivers seat (just need to find a blanking plate now).

If you look up Custom Sat Navs in the for sale section you will see what I have had installed (mine was the first one to be done, by Nurrish). If you are anywhere near the Midlands fitting is included in the price as well.

Quick question for you, is your cubby automatic? Mine goes up when the ignition is switched on and drops again when turned off. Not many around if you have that!! :thumbs:

As expected!

Thanks for replies though.

If I ever find the awkward b*ugger who designed the sources of our woes, I intend to give him a piece of my mind!

While we're on it though, any cures for a stiff screen cover? The movement on mine is quite stiff and awkward.