Knocking from engine...

andlid

Had some knocking in the engine for some time now, took a good while before I actually pinned it down to be 'knocking' = sheit fuel.

My car is a Haltech Platinum tuned car when it was running E5 (5% Ethanol, sold in Topaz and Maxol in Ireland), since then it's been flying around on the roads and been pretty happy with the end result. HOWEVER... some times around 4.5 +- .3 under load it would sound like pebbles thrown around in the engine room, after some reading around online I finally took the car to a motor factors and decided to get a bottle of LUCAS octane booster.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/displa ... 2&loc=show

it supposed to increase the octane (proven), bought two bottles (12€ each...) filled the car with one bottle (only 1/2 tank). Drove it for a while and then went out to a private track ( :snack: ) and started driving it a bit more aggressivly... voila NO knocking at all and my god is it revving much smoother and nicer!

Conclusion: I've got my car more tuned then the petrol quality I can get... :blink:

Solution: Well I cannot be putting in another 12€ on top of the 90€ it costs to fill her up, SO here is what I did.

Went to a Maxol station that sells E85 as well as E5 (85% Ethanol), filled up with 5 litre of E85 and then 65 litre of E5, which should have given somewhere around E10 instead of E5... CAR is still flying!

(could be due to the LUCAS still in the tank, will know when I go back for another tank to Maxol)

:clap: I'm finally happy about the way the engine sounds / drives! SO easy too!

:drive1

Note:

Not to impressed that the quality of petrol differs SO much.

:drunk:

Complete other note:

It drinks a bit more petrol.... :blackeye:

The Zed engine and fuel system is not built to run on Ethanol based products I am advised. Careful you just do not melt your fuel lines and system. Please take professional advice on this. :surrender:

The Zed engine and fuel system is not built to run on Ethanol based products I am advised. Careful you just do not melt your fuel lines and system. Please take professional advice on this. :surrender:

E10 should be fine, big tests in australia about it. Think 2004 350z is ok on E10. E5 isn't any bother, otherwise they would not sell the stuff!

( I hope )

E85 is different but they guy I'm looking to do it says it's a lot of jumbo mumbo that they corrode etc. He is running his race cars on E85 no bother!

Sure I'll know soon enough if it will take E85, I'll get warranty I hope!

A