Screaming drive belts

quicksilver

I had the belts changed about a month ago and ever since then they scream for a few seconds when the car is started but not again after that initial spurt.

I've had the belts back off and re-fitted but it seems to be worse now.

Is there a set torque for the belts?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any help appreciated as its getting embarrassing :blush:

Sounds like the belts are a little loose to me!

Not sure if the 350 belts have a direction arrow on them or if it even matters but if there is not an arrow you should always install them so you could read them sat on the engine then tension them up.

You should be able to twist the belt 90-180 degrees on the longest side of the belt, ensure there is no contamination on it or the pulleys too.

hope this helps

coops

I had the belts changed about a month ago and ever since then they scream for a few seconds when the car is started but not again after that initial spurt.

I've had the belts back off and re-fitted but it seems to be worse now.

Is there a set torque for the belts?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any help appreciated as its getting embarrassing :blush:

There is a set procedure for belt tightness but I usualy find that they have to be tighter than recommended

Your problem will be that the belts are to loose, they really have to be very tight especially the main serpentine belt. :thumbs:

Alex have you any guides for the best method of tightening please mate. Oh an have you got them pics mate she's getting very close!!!

Ignore the guides mate, just make sure that they are very tight. :thumbs:

I have not forgotten about the pics mate. I was promised that the stuff was despatched yesterday so should be with me today. :yahoo:

Alex have you any guides for the best method of tightening please mate. Oh an have you got them pics mate she's getting very close!!!

Ignore the guides mate, just make sure that they are very tight. :thumbs:

I have not forgotten about the pics mate. I was promised that the stuff was despatched yesterday so should be with me today. :yahoo:

Cheers dude :thumbs:

Be careful not to over tighten as it will put extra strain on the bearings in all components and cause more turning resistance and heat, if it is only making a sound for the first few seconds then it shows the belt will only need tightning a fraction!

coops