CarPC Earthing Rear Cubby

Hi,

I am installing a Car PC in the rear cubby, and am wondering the nearest(best) chassis earth is.

I could drill a small hole under the cubby, clean away the paintwork, and attach the earth there.

The problem is that I might drill through something important like wiring, or the tank...

Anyone found a suitable earth point close by ?

Cheers

Stewart

Hey Stewart,

I have just put my pc in the rear cubby. For the earth I used a bolt behind the side plastic trim level with the cubby. If you take off the pasenger sill trim (just pulls off), you can then pull off the rubber strip inside (again just pulls off) and you can the carfully pulll away the plastic trim that goes up the back of the doorway enough to run wires through a hole to underneath the cubby. If you then lift up your cubby floor and the tray you will see where the wire comes through.

I will pop some pics up for you tomorrow (Monday) been meaning to do it anyway. Need to tidy up the wires at some point.

Hope this helps, pics to come.

Nick

As Nick said, just bolt it to a bit of the chasis that is already there with a bolt in it. There are quite a few places around there if you remove the trim. Mine ended up on one near the rear ciggy lighter IIRC.

Thanks Guys,

I was sure that a suitable earthing point was not too far away from the rear cubby.

A photo of exactly where it is will help a lot. It will save me removing panels unnecessarily.

I am taking photos of my efforts, and will post then on the forum when finished.

Cheers

Stewart

Right, hopefully with the aid of some pictures this wil make sence.

First I removed the passenger sill trim as below

SN202676.jpg

Then I pulled off the rubber strip enought to get wires underneath. Also pull off up the rear of the door.

SN202677.jpg

You can then gently pull away the trim running up the rear of the door. This is held in by push clpips so dont worry if you need to force it a little.

SN202678.jpg

In this one you can see where I have run the wire through to get to underneath the cubby and the earth point that I used (Gold wire at the top).

SN202679.jpg

A closer look ath the earth point.

SN202682.jpg

Another view

SN202683.jpg

Here you can see the cubby and the side. The wires go through the hole and to underneath the cubby. You then need to lift up the tray under the cubby floor to get to the wires, dont worry it is only resting there. As you can see from the pictureI have just run the wires out of the hole once I liffted up the tray. Eventually I will put some holes in it fro the wires to run through. Works for now though. You can see what I mean in the next few pic.

SN202685.jpg

SN202686.jpg

And here it is all working.....

SN202687.jpg

SN202689.jpg

SN202690.jpg

Hope this helps.....

SN202684.jpg

Nick,

The photos are great, thanks for taking the time to post them. I will probably use the same earthing point as you, but will try and run all my other cables down the middle of the car under the center console as I have a switch mounted there to control the IGN signal to the PC power supply.

My PC is mounted on a black felt covered MDF board cut to the same size as the original. It has a slot near the back for the cables. All being well, next weekend, I will get all of the bits installed...

Cheers & Beers

Stewart