Whistling sound

maxi-glasgow

In the past week at random times I hear a whistling sound, at first I thought one of the air vents wasn't shut properly as that the type of whistle it is. Then I noticed I can hear it if I open my window, so it seems to be coming from the drivers wheel. If I even just touch the brakes it stops.

Now I don't know if this is a coincidence or not but I had two new front Bridgestone tyres fitted in Kwik Fit last Monday and it must have been Tuesday or Wednesday I first noticed this whistling sound.

And the guy in Kwik Fit said I will need brake pads shortly, didn't need them right now but there were around 5mm on them....

I know they will probably fit the cheapest of the cheap pads but he said they do a lifetime guarantee, so while you own the car if it needs new pads they are supplied and fitted FOC....for life.

Sounds a great deal, but then I was thinking I might only change the pads once in my ownership of the car anyway as they are probably more expensive than anywhere else and it would only be cost effective if I got 2 or more changes out of the deal.

Anyway, that's a side issue. Is it the pads causing the whistling or something else?

I don't know if they offer a selection of brake pads, I wouldn't get anything less than the Redstuff pads or better anyway.

But the question still remains, could it be the brakes causing this whistling sound?

Although I think I have really answered that myself with the fact it stops if I touch the brake pedal...