Uh Oh... Dash no longer lights up!

mwalker56

Right, i'vfe got a minor problem here... I have installed a new head unit and 7" screen in my dash, i wired them all up, checked they worked with ignition and with engine running and had no problem. I also pulled several other cables from the head unit/screen through the central armrest to come out the the side behind the passenger seat. (I will eventually find a route to run these through into the rear cubby behind the passenger seat, but one problem at a time...

After pulling these cables and putting all of the trim back on i turned the ignition to admite my master piece and guess what... no power to the stereo or screen and to make it worse the dash backligts no longer work!! (Indicator and main beam lights still do but dials no longer glow!). I've checked the audio systems fuse and it is fine. Could I of dislodged a connector behind the stereo or under centre arm rest?

Any help much appreciated, otherwise i think it may have to be an expensive trip to Uplands Car Electronics!!

Cheers

I think so! The controls and LEDs work fine in it. I think i'll have to take the whole lot apart again and see if i can source the problem.

Does anyone know how to remove the centre armrest? I undid the screws behind the AC controls, the one under the ash tray and the two on either sides of the trim (behind the seat belt plugs), but couldnt actually get the thing out, just moved it high enough to feed my cables underneath. I also have no idea how to get the standard key knob off! Thought it would be a simple case of unscrewing but it seems very tight if thats the case.

If i recall it should just be a case of removing the trim around the gear knob, undoing the screws either side of the armrest (at the bottom next to seat belt latch), and some in the cubby. Should be 4-5 screws in total then pull the cover up. You probably wont be able to take it totally off easily but will give you enough room to work under it.

R

If you move the seats as far forward as you can you will see two screws (on the side) of the centre consol. Remove these.

If you car is the 2003 - 2005 model you will need to remove the ashtray and remove the screw in under that. IIRC there are no clips and it just lifts out... Good luck!

Matt.

you will need to remove the knob to get the centre off.

Lift up the gear gator, get a pair of pipe grips and grip around the base of the stick, not the knob, clamp them tight. Remove the ribon connector from the AC control.

Get another set of pipe grips and put a cloth over the gear knob and then unscrew, making sure the pipe grips on the base DO NOT move, your turning the knob not the stick.... Also remember, leftie loosey, righty tighty! You may find that you mark your knob if your not careful...

Once knob is off and the 5 screws from the centre console are removed, 2 forward, 1 ashtray, 2 aft, lift the centre console up from the back and over the hand brake, watch the front bit against your screen and also if you have the phone holder in the rear cubby you will need to unclip this. You will also have 1 loom clip for the hazard lights (and another for the heated seats if you have them)

And that should be that!

M