Steering Knocking

simonwtf

Hi im new to the forum, Ive had my 04 uk Z since september 08 its now done 27k no major probs, just the usual, wind noise, heavy gears and clutch, tracing paper paint, enormous smile, admiring glances etc , however the other morning when getting out of the car i turned the wheel which produced a knocking noise, turning the wheel quickly back and forth continued to produce this knocking. Concerned this might be bjoints, bearings or a rack problem, any ideas i have an extended warranty and hope im covered!! :byebye:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi All,

To cut a long story short - I have the same problem!

When I move the steering wheel backwards and forwards quickly when stationary it knocks :(

The only other thing my search on this forum found was this:

"steering rack pre-load adjustment",

"there is a nut that holds the rack together; and its called an "end cover assembly" its under the boot; and its torque-spec is actually a range - 58.9 - 73.5nm; the tech told me on the phone that they need to increase the torque until the clicking goes away, and the play is taken out..."

Has anyone got a fix yet?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Same problem, knocking sound when turning wheel left and right when stationary.

I got under and investigated and I think it's coming from the drivers side inner track rod. I also have a knocking rattle over the bumps which might be the same issue but I think more likely that it's the compression rod on the passengers side.

Or maybe they all make a knocking sound when turning the wheel when stationary?!?

• 4 weeks later...

I've just noticed in the past week what sounds to me to be the exact same problem. Noticed it in a car park, turned the wheel back and forth near full lock and there was a definite knocking sensation/sound. Anyone got this sorted??

OMG !!! How do you people drive? LOL

Have you had your suspension checked?

Only just noticed mine, but I think getting the suspension checked is necessary, it just feels odd and wobbly at low speeds. Now, just a matter of finding the time!!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone solve the knocking Sound when turning the wheel left and right stationary? I think my steering is a big looser than it should be so I am wondering if it's possibly a track rod problem?

When under the car and having a friend replicate the problem I thought I could feel a clunk in the inner tie rod.