Another cleaning question...?

neil2185

Ok so I have a pretty good system for getting my car clean

I wash then clay to remove the very fine dirt then wash then dry

then polish with filers to hide some small swerl marks (previous owner)

then sometimes glaze

and then wax or seal.

However my question is that I have removed the dirt from the fine scratches with the clay, filled them with something using the polish and sealed that process in using the wax or seal and it looks B) but how often do I need to do that, ie go to the trouble of polish and clay, and what can I do imbetween? Could I just wash dry and wax if I use a wax friendly shampoo to clean off surface dirt and restore shine when I dont have time to do the big process and want to get the car looking good again

Cheers

Neil

Moved :)

You probably only want to clay the car a couple of times, maybe 3 times a year really. If you clay it, polish and put a good sealant on before waxing, you should get a good few months of protection. Then the interim washes can just be a wax friendly wash and top up of the wax. :thumbs:

If you look at most decent washes, they will have two dilution levels on them. One for a 'strip clean' and one for a gentle clean. This can be quite a difference - my Chemical Guys citrus wash n gloss barely needs more than a cap full in a bucket to strip the car! Always read the label, as they say!

Once you have given the car a good wash, or snow foamed the car, then you will have stripped away the wax.

Well anything is to be taken with a pinch of salt and a dose of common sense.

Maybe a detailer or washing enthusiast could make an updated guide?

Will put it on the list of things to update once the new forum niggles have been ironed out. :thumbs:

Claying will remove everything from your paint including wax's so you want to be doing that as little as possible. I add wax whenever I have time, a few times a month, just to build up the layers of protection.

When you are cleaning use LSP (last stage product) safe cleaners to ensure you don't strip the wax you have spent so long applying.

If you DO want to remove the wax whilst washing (prior to claying) then use a more concentrated dilution of all purpose cleaner.

R :disguise: