Front Lights!

t3dcf

Hey guys,

Im planning on chaning my indicator bulb to the silvatec ones, but the manual says to change any bulbs it needs to go to the dealer! - im going to try and squeeze my hands down - think some of you have done this from my search, any tips!?

The main reason for this post is that i want to get rid of the orange reflector on the side of the headlight unit? ive seen a car in the states without it, does anyone know how it can be done? would appreciate any replies?!

David B)

Hey guys,

Im planning on chaning my indicator bulb to the silvatec ones, but the manual says to change any bulbs it needs to go to the dealer! - im going to try and squeeze my hands down - think some of you have done this from my search, any tips!?

The main reason for this post is that i want to get rid of the orange reflector on the side of the headlight unit? ive seen a car in the states without it, does anyone know how it can be done? would appreciate any replies?!

David B)

To change the indicator bulbs you just need to turn your wheel in towards the car to give you enough room to undo the wheel arch lining.From there you can get to the back of the headlight.You just twist the plastic holder 90degrees and the bulb can now be withdrawn still attatched to the wires.

replace bulb and fees in through hole, twist opposite way(you'll feel it locking) and that's you!

Changing the reflective strip is a job for the brave only!

Requires heating the entire headlight unit to soften adhesive so you can prise the unit apart to change out the strip.you then need to reseal the unit and hope you didn't let any moisture in there.

Replacing the indicator bulb shouldn't be a big deal.... I haven't tried it before, but I can't imagine it will be a 1 hour job....

Regarding the orange reflector in the headlight unit... You'll have to buy the chrome strips which fit there. Then the hard part starts: you'll have to take the headlight unit apart. Either by using a heat gun/hair dryer for a while or putting it in the oven! if they fit. You can then take the lense from the housing.

This is the easy part. You don't want to touch the lense from the inside to much as it can leave finger marks etc. Once you're replaced it, you have to heat all parts up again to put them back together. Then you use a sealant to make sure they're 100% water proof.

The last part scared me off to do it myself. I've read experiences after this mod and some people had issues with water getting in when washing the car etc.....

I wouldn't risk it myself. Maybe you know a very skilled person who can try to fix it for you....

p.s. I've seen a write-up somewhere, I'll try to find it again.

Thanks for your reply - sounds like ive got a bit of a project on my hands!!

Mathys - if you find that write-up would be very interested!!!

Off to see if my oven is big enough! - wish me luck!!