Are the MREV 2 worth getting???

wide

hi all,

Are the Motordyne ISO Thermal MREV 2 Intake Plenum worth the money?

thinking of buying both the MotorDyne 5/16" ISO Thermal Plenum Spacer (which i gather is a must) & MREV 2, but need to know im spending my money wisely.

thanks for any help. matt

I know it states that the mrev 2 intakes are only for the rev up cars, but, when i took mine off, i noticed that my '04' intake is identical to the '06' intake, apart (obviously) from the modification. I'm tempted to fit the mrev 2 on mine to see if it works, but if anybody knows why i shouldn't then i wont attempt it.

According to 350z-tech you get good gains from just fitting the mrev2 on its own to a mark 1. Although most with a mark 1 only fit the plenum spacer on its own. However if you have the mark 2 rev up engine you really need the mrev2 AND plenum spacer. Although Im sure someone else will provide all the facts.

I know it states that the mrev 2 intakes are only for the rev up cars, but, when i took mine off, i noticed that my '04' intake is identical to the '06' intake, apart (obviously) from the modification. I'm tempted to fit the mrev 2 on mine to see if it works, but if anybody knows why i shouldn't then i wont attempt it.

picture?

perhaps you're confused as to what an MREV2 really are

An MREV2 is simply the lower intake manifold,from a non revup VQ35 DE with some porting done. The main reason it adds the midrange torque vs the REVUP lower intake manifold is due to the longer runner length. Generally speaking, long runners = midrange punch, short runners = top end power. The amount of these differences will of course vary by the specific setup of the car (ie cams/headers/headwork combo). The reason your '04 looks identical to the MREV2, is that it is idential (porting aside). This is also why they offer a core charge rebate if your car is a NONREVUP - they port these and resell them as MREV2.

In the US, and I suspect worldwide, the longer runner lower manifold (the basis for the MREV2) came standard on:

2003-2004 350Z's (all models); 2005 350Z's (except Track models with manual transmission and 35th Anniversary models with manual transmissions).

2005 Manual Transmission Track/35th Anniversary models, and all 2006 350Z's come with the shorter runner lower manifold as standard

from what i can gather all the older models have longer runs in the plenum chamber & the new revup engines have shorter ones, shorter = better top end worse midrange, so the benefits of the mrev2 are longer runs for the revup = better midrange, but the older model already have this so theres no need to use this mod. so the mrev2 is only good for revup engines.

hope this helps. matt