After Market Head Unit Help Please...

nate247

Hi people...

Well to cut a long story short, I have been the benefactor of a very very cheap Pioneer FH-P80BT Car Stereo as my JDM Bose unit packed up the other week.

I have been reading the literature on Pioneers website about this unit at it states that it has 3 RCA Pre Outs to use with Amps, Sub's etc etc.

Being a relative novice with car stereo's, I was wondering if this would mean not having to spend out on a PAC ROEM NIS2?

Also, presumably I will still need the Nissan Micra converter lead so that I can plug the Pioneer in to the car?

I have attached a link to the exact stereo below and also a photo of the back of the unit. Any help would be massively appreciated as I literally have no idea what to do but am trying my hardest to learn :thumbs:

Many thanks, Nathan...

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25 ... index.html

Hi Mate,

You still need the PAC converter as the Bose amp doesnt take RCA inputs like the headunit provides (if you are fitting an aftermarket amp then you dont need the PAC).

Once you have the PAC its just a case of match the wires.

And make sure you ground the headunit to the metal surrond in the centre dash - dont do what I did and spend 2 days wondering why it wasn't working as I hadn't grounded it properly - doh.

I have just replaced my Bose with a Kenwood DNX7200 so any more questions just ask.

regards

Adam

Thanks guys...

Adam, am I right in saying that not only will I need the PAC in which case, I will also need one of these Click Here

Also, as I am yet to hear what the standard speakers even sound like (as my Stereo has not worked since purchase). Would you recommend keeping things stock and just getting the PAC unit or are there any after market amps that couple be worth a look at for similar money but would that then mean having to change the speakers?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I just want to be certain :thumbs:

I have already ordered one of those Micra looms just in case anyway for £4... Prob wont need it now :lol:

Also another very kind forum member said that he had installed an aftermarket Hi-Fi without the PAC, but you just have to be careful about the volume as the Bose amp ramps things up. Would this be a viable short cut as funds at the mo are tight and those PAC units look as though they are £50+?

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Nathan...

yes you need the nissan lead to connect the power etc - you can do it without the PAC but I wouldnt try it unless you know what your doing.

I ordered mine from the states for about £35 including del.

The stock speakers are ok - however I am going to replace all the speakers and the amp once it gets a bit warmer....trying to fiddle with screws and wires when its below freezing outside is no fun.

I have the roadster version which limits my space for putting a new amp in a bit more than the coupe. If you have a heated garage then do it all at once - there are lots of detailed guides as how to replace speakers and where to mount amps etc.

We'll your prob right about DIY in the cold weather... blummin aweful when your hands start cracking in the cold :scare:

For now in which case I will go the route you have advised and thanks for taking the time out to help :thumbs:

Well I have ordered the Nissan Micra lead, stereo is en route from a family member (with cage). So I guess all I need is the PAC thingy.

I have looked on Ebay and the cheapest I can find is £55 odd. Is there an alternative place to buy or is Ebay pretty much the only place?

Thanks again, Nathan...

Im there thinking... Dad... is that you :lol: lol

Cheers for the link buddy. Bit of a bummer in that about 2 hours ago I bit the bullet and ordered the PAC thingy from eBay for about £55.

Thanks for the effort with the link however... I appreciate all the help and support with my enquiry thus far...! :thumbs:

I just thought having taken your advice, there isn't much point in cutting corners and long story short, I was going to buy the Pioneer FH-P80BT for £220 and ended up getting it for £130 brand new, so what I saved has gone on the relevant connectors and PAC ROEM NIS2 (which should actually be a character on Star Wars with a name like that).

I should in theory receive everything by the weekend hopefully. Just now got to figure out what to do with the PAC ROEM.

I have taken the dash apart already when taking the old unit out so know how to do all that. Just not that great a wiring stuff but have to give it a go as I need to start somewhere with all this modding my car stuff...!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... so guys... I am in desperate need of help.

I have all of the bits required to fit an aftermarket stereo and have enlisted the help of my Dad who has connected everything to the T... but low and behold we have absolutely no sound.

I have plugged the old OEM stereo in to the normal connectors as well and we are not even getting radio static.

Since buying the car I am yet to have a working Stereo. Could the Bose AMP be blown or something? Or are we doing something obvious wrong?

Any help would be fantastic as I am ready to give up :-( lol

The more I look in to this problem the more I am lead to believe its a problem with the amp.

Anyone know if the amp has an internal fuse and also a diagram of how to get to the amp?

I think its in the boot, drivers side, underneath the headlight cluster but can't figure how to take it all apart :-(

I have plugged the old OEM stereo in to the normal connectors as well and we are not even getting radio static.

It's very rare to have a problem with the actual BOSE amplifer (but not unheard of...). Best thing is to do what you're doing and go right back to standard and see if you can confirm everything still works.

Some questions: Did everything work fine before you started fitting the new stereo? Do you know the old OEM stereo works? - when you plug it in now does it light up correctly and display the CD tracks and radio settings ok?

Cheers,

Steve

The more I look in to this problem the more I am lead to believe its a problem with the amp.

Anyone know if the amp has an internal fuse and also a diagram of how to get to the amp?

I think its in the boot, drivers side, underneath the headlight cluster but can't figure how to take it all apart :-(

passenger side rear quarter, lift the boot carpet :thumbs:

i would make sure the hu is ok before going further though

Thanks for replying guys...

When I bought the car, the guy had removed his single din unit but not fitted the original back. So long story short, in the month or so I have owned the car, I am yet to hear anything from a stereo.

I have plugged the original in to the leads a couple of times and the unit powers up, but I can't even hear the radio. The speakers are completely silent and not even static flickers can be heard.

Same goes when I fit the Pac and the new stereo. Not even radio static can be heard.

Checked fuses under the Bonet etc, but all is well.

Thanks for the scematic (or whatever one calls it) ;-) lol

I must be honest in that I am not the most competent person as regards to car Audio. But I am logical and methodical and having tried the stock head unit and then the aftermarket one, to not even get static or feedback once in a while must mean an amp issue. I can't think of anything else, (but like I say, not the most competent with car stereo).

I am really struggling to get at this amp for fear of snapping some of the boot plastics. Anyone come across a similar visual tutorial to the head unit removal one?

I am half tempted to just stump up some cash and get somebody more in to this than me to take a look as I feel completely out of my depth :-(

Ok, if you've not heard anything out of it at all and the previous owner had an aftermarket headunit plugged in, it's possible he had an aftermarket amp, but also possible he's cut the +ve power feed to the bose amp in order to wire it directly to 12v ignition or the amp-on signal from his new head unit (this is what had happened on my car). If he's done that, then all that's wrong is you're not powering up the amp.

Find the smaller of the two loom plugs, which has 6 pins (if your's is a JDM import, the wires will be coloured grey, purple/red, black/yellow, light green, pink and blue). Find pin no. 2 (purple/red wire on JDM) this is the amp 12v power wire - follow it back until it enters the loom - and check it very carefully for any breaks.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks Steve, appreciate your help as always.

I have just heard back from the previous seller and it appears that the aftermarket unit he was using was from the US and it required him to swap a few of the wires around in the loom (or whatever the technical term is). The little white connecting blocks is what I am going to call them :-) lol

So whilst not counting my chickens, I am hoping that by taking a look at the wiring tomorrow morning. It could be as simple as swapping the one or two back to where they were.

I wonder if there is a way of knowing where they originally should have been?

Ok guys... so despite another day hard at work trying to get the stock unit working for now (before attempting the new headunit) I still have had no joy :-(

I have put the wires back where they should be (as per the above thread). Well at least I hope I have, but the stereo wont even switch on now, so my guess is I have gone wrong somewhere with the wires.

I have attached a pic from my iPhone of where I have got to thus far with the wires. Apologies for the poor quality, but if anyone can see a clear mistake in what I have done I would be very very grateful to hear...

All the best, Nathan...

photo1dm8.th.jpg