Speedo conversion

theman

Hi all. I am looking to replace the speedo and other clocks with UK spec. If I replace the speedo can the mileage be set accordingly if I buy used clocks or is it automatically at zero when fitted? (Obviously talking second hand clocks!).

I have NISMO faced clocks on mine, is it worth keeping them on instead? I am sure I have some sort of OCD cause not having proper miles on the clock does ma heed in. :wacko:

Thanks in anticipation. ;)

First off Nismo clocks are like rocking horse sh!t so bear this in mind! and if you dont want them I will gladly take them off your hands.

Right you can simply plug and play the clock although if your JDM has been converted the speedo will now not read right again. (not sure how to adjust this sure someone else can shed some light)

Secondly the millage is stored on the cluster therefore it will change the mileage according to the last miles on the speedo.

I have got round this by fitting a MPH facia to a JDM cluster as the position are the same.... this retains correct mileage, and all other settings.

Hope this is helpful .... PM if you want anymore info on this

Thanks for the above mate. I think I may have got your explanation wrong! But, I'll (try) to word my next query to make sense!! Can I take the speedo out of the UK cluster and fit it independantly in to my cluster or are the three clocks in a sealed unit?

If it is just a speedo 'face' you fitted (MPH) does the overlay comply with the speedo needles original positions without any further adjustment?

I take it if I chose the overlay option it means I am still stuck with my tripmeter and mileometer (or should that be kilometer!!!!) in Kilometers? Confused yet!!??

I only ask becuase with Supras there was a 'plug in' available which attached to the rear of the speedo and transformed the trip meter etc. in to miles.

I would like to keep the Nismo clocks but I travel a fair bit and it can be a bit of a pain always calculating mileages when I should be thinking more about cars,bikes, women, beer and the price of petrol. I should add the car is an auto and therefore has the gear indicator window in the rev counter. Are there compatible UK clocks that provide this function?

Sorry to go on, I'm one of those sad persons that has to have evreything up to speed.

Thanks again for the info. so far.

Sorry to go on, I'm one of those sad persons that has to have evreything up to speed.

Thanks again for the info. so far.

Oh what a pun!!!

Right .....

When you car was imported it should have been electronically converted to MPH (Im not sure how this is done so any light would be useful). THis will change the trip to calculate in miles and speedo to read in MPH (even if using a KPH facia)

The unit is not sealed it so u can get to the SMD bulbs should one blow.

Only JDM did a tiptronic gearbox so I doubt you will be able to find one with the gear selection. I have a manual so someone else might be able to future confirm..

Dan

Thanks Dan, mate this is all really helpful so thanks for your time. My speedo is in KMH but has the inner digits correlating in MPH, bit like a reversal of a UK clock if you know what I mean. It is pretty difficult to read off the speed as the numbers are pretty small. This would suggest to me there has been no requirement to re-calibrate as there is already the nph numbers on the speedo dial? Either that or I have been driving all over the place at 140 mph!

I would still prefer proper clocks but it looks like I would lose the gear indicator which is useful in tiptronic mode, not that I would use it thet often.

My ideal solution would be: Just change the speedo independantly in the set of the three clocks, keeping my 'Nismo' pod and gear indicator but having the speedo in UK speak.

Still not sure if achievable? Nothings ever simple!!!

Thanks again mate.