Some general questions

Wa_Wa

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering buying a 350z and will be looking at the 2006 revision of the car. Before I take the plunge I have a few questions and I was hoping you maybe able to help out.

1) Maybe one day I would like to add the Nismo Aero kit to the car but my budget doesn't allow me to do it just yet. Can this be done at a later date, or does it have to be done at the same time I order the car? My local dealer said it was a factory fitted option only, but a friend of mine who owned a 350z was told by his dealer that it could be done at a later date.

2) Looking on the Nissan USA site, the Bose stereo included in the GT pack also plays MP3 cd's, but there's no mention of this functionality on the UK site. Does anyone happen to know whether the UK model can play MP3 cd's at all? Also, is there anyway of connecting an iPod to the stereo?

3) My experience of servicing cars has been pretty straight-forward - one service every 12000 miles or 1 year. I'm looking at several performance cars and not only do they have their annual service, but they also have a host of other extras not included in that service - such as brake fluid change every couple of years. Does the Z require similar services? Or is it as straight-forward as an annual service?

4) And finally, does the car require a cambelt change? The dealer said it used a chain - but I don't want any running costs to be "hidden" by the dealer just to get a sale.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

:welcome: first of all :teeth:

1- you can have it fitted at a later stage but as a dealer fit, it's only factory option so you'd have to have it done elsewhere or @ dealers that do it regardless of NMGB suggestions

2- don't think UK BOSE have the mp3 cd functionality. Yes you have a few "adapters" to plug in your IPOD, a search will reveal all :)

3- straightforward annual service (or 9000 miles, whichever comes first), which includes those "extras" that you talk about.

4- good q, haven't heard of anyone having to change it yet, but a nose in the manual will answer that

Thanks for such a quick reply. I've thought of a couple more questions about the Nismo kit...

1) If I was to have it fitted at a later date, would that invalidate the cars warranty?

2) Looking at photos of the car with and without the Nismo kit, the attachment of the nismo spoiler to the boot is narrower than the original spoiler. Would there be any marks left on the car once the original spoiler has been removed? Would it involve a respray of the boot at all?

Many thanks

1- what sort of warranty would you want invalidated? it's just a bodykit! replacement panels, that's it! They'd had to prove whatever goes wrong with your car, is directly related to the bodykit... for more info have a nose into the "modifications section" there's a thread about warranty there :)http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=326

2- I didn't have mine resprayed, and it depends who takes it off in the first place, the oem spoiler is glued down quite hard, but it can be done without damaging the boot...

Also, the Nismo spoiler will require 2 extra holes to be done on the boot, so there's no going back :)

My only concern is that by adding the Nismo kit post factory I'm giving the dealer just the excuse they need to not fix something under warranty - even though it is just a body kit.

All I'm doing at this stage is gathering as much information about the car as possible so that there are no surprises later on.

Many thanks for your help so far. I'm sure I'll have more questions the closer I get to placing an order...

You will not be disappointed if you do place an order

With regard to the bodykit, you shouild not have any problems whatsoever and it is a good investment to do it at a later stage - almost certainly cheaper and also adds tot he desireability of the car once you come to sell it, but don't expect it to add value but you'll enjoy it being different

What colour are you hoping for???

Thanks Speedball - I took the car out for a test drive yesterday and loved the roar from the exhausts. I don't think the stereo will get used very much. :teeth:

I'm looking at Azure, Gun Metal and Black but I'm leaning towards Azure. I've seen some other posts on this forum that the paint on the Z is quite thin and that black suffers from "swirls". Presumably all the colours suffer from that problem - its just that it's more obvious on black. Do you happen to know if Supagard eliminates "swirls"?

With my limited knowledge the swirls are just a by product of the black and that its just the colour and polish and water marks are more obvious. The azure is a lovely lovely colour. If you polish the car really well and use a lint free cloth you should eba bel o get them off, black is a bit more difficult to sell IMHO and from what I ahve heard from others. Blue is the most desireable and therefore the easiest to sell on should you ever get fed up of the noise which is highly unlikely!