Exhaust pops and bangs...is it normal?

Z Boy

Some guy with a Supra just heard my exhaust and said that because it's popping and banging a lot (my Nismo did it too) that my car is out of tune and my air-fuel ratios are all over the place hence it's running like crap and banging... :dry:

Don't all the loud systems do that? I've got standard cats, Nismo Y-Pipe and an ESR K1, all the sound clips I've seen have done the same thing too. Is he talking crap?

The K1 definitely pops and bangs, doesn't mean that the ratios are out. Given the ECU is self learning it will always keep that at a constant. So unless the ECU is gone, then I can't see how anything is wrong.

Bear in mind Supras are a bit old tech..... ;)

The K1 definitely pops and bangs, doesn't mean that the ratios are out. Given the ECU is self learning it will always keep that at a constant. So unless the ECU is gone, then I can't see how anything is wrong.

+1 I wouldn't take to much notice of your buddy's comment tbh, even the oem pops and for sure nearly all the after market exhaust (especially the k1 has got a bit of a kick to it :thumbs:

+1 I wouldn't take to much notice of your buddy's comment tbh, even the oem pops and for sure nearly all the after market exhaust (especially the k1 has got a bit of a kick to it :thumbs:

+1 Normal ;)

"It'll only generate carbon and exhaust muck if the car is out of tune, and the AFRs are all over the place. Oh wait - they are, hence the popping and banging.

For £50 I could register a company labelled as a 350Z tuner, sell you a megaphone exhaust and tell you it was running perfectly too. Claiming it does not make it true, sorry. As I said, post a dyno plot and I'll eat my words...heck I'll even apologise for doubting it. Or did they not actually test your car before claiming it was running perfectly, because the current evidence says otherwise."

:dry:

I would advise checking your air and fuel ratio's as this may reduce this and may improve your mpg too!

Larger, more direct airflow etc allows the system to flow and thus a later louder pop band at the back, which is good high end but not so good low end as you loose back preassure!

I would seriously get it rolling roaded and get everything setup properly and you will get more power and prob a better run (less pop band more whizzzzzz)

That isn't all that causes pops and bangs!! Jeez.....

It is a flow of air down a pipe, and as revs change that will change the force that the air (and some fuel) is forced down the pipe. Depending how it is revved and lifted off and revved again, the noises will change.

Do an ECU re-set if you want to. Then go and get a dyno graph and you will see it will be fine.

It's got me thinking though, how do all those popping and banging rally / touring / formula one cars last? If shelling out £50 I'd make it a full tuning company! :D