Short Shift and Flywheel

mwalker56

Hi all,

Have been thinking about changing to a short shift mechanism as i've come from an s2000 which (IMO) has the nicest shift motion around and was hoping to get something similar in my Zed. Can anyone recommend a system?

I'm also thinking of changing to a lightweight flywheel, can anyone recommend any good ones or any to stay clear of?

Cheers,

Mike

Hi all,

Have been thinking about changing to a short shift mechanism as i've come from an s2000 which (IMO) has the nicest shift motion around and was hoping to get something similar in my Zed. Can anyone recommend a system?

I'm also thinking of changing to a lightweight flywheel, can anyone recommend any good ones or any to stay clear of?

Cheers,

Mike

B&M short shift is £85 but be aware they can vibrate, just change from the standard gear knob to something like the Nismo, gives a similar shortening of the throw without any issues.

JWT flywheel is a pretty good option at £315

All kept in stock.

Hi.

You will never get a change like your S2000 which is just about the slickest gearbox in existence. The 350Z has a meaty change which suits its character.

Be aware that changing the existing dual mass flywheel to a lightweight one will cause low speed noise and vibration. What most people refer to as a cement mixer sound.

Enjoy your Zed!

Thanks for the info. Does the lighter fly-wheel provide a significant increase in throttle response and how bad is the Cement Mixer noise!?! :headhurt:

engine revs much more freely and engine braking much improved.

The increased noise is really not that bad most describe it as sounding more purposefull.

In all honesty no one has ever complained about it.

After a bit of digging around, it seems like a fairly big job changing the flywheel, and 350z-tech recommend changing the clutch at the same time. Has anyone changed their clutch/flywheel? Does anyone know what kind of labour charge would i be looking at?

it will vary from area to area but budget between £300-£400

clutch kit is £250

US 350Z forums have a wealth of info on flywheels. It seems the noise level varies. Some people have found it to be not too bad others have found it to be so bad that they have put the original back in. Another coment I noticed was that you need more revs to pull away - like a racing car I suppose.

My advice is to read the experiences of US owners.

I have a lighter flywheel in mine plus an exedy twin plate clutch. It's about my least favourite mod during stop start traffic, then it's neither here or there for normal flow driving but when I've got the space to floor it or drive hard, the rest of the time it's absolutely perfect, worth all the hassle and really adds to the more sprightly feel of the car.

The cement mixer noise isn't bad, people look at your car like it's broken because it looks like a car that should purr smoothly at idle instead of rattle metallically. I also have an extra belt and the sound of air escaping from the SC when idling which all in all is a very happy collection of odd noises, just a little out of character for a grown-up looking car.

"Purposeful" is definitely a good description of the sound.

I'm generally mechanically sympathetic but my rev matching took a dive with the faster response, so my biggest fret is braking on the engine that nissan fitted with a fairly hefty flywheel possibly for a good reason. I'll see - anyway going too light with the flywheel is a common modification mistake, as ever get some good professional advice if possible.

I'll be at the Wales meet if you want to hear how good it sounds - I'm certain I'll not be the only one with this mod there either!

sounds bit like this mod geared more for race track use.. round my area traffic is awful and lots of start stopping.. i get so lazy and end up changing gears only when the clutch is half depressed making loads of squeels.. not good - sometimes wish i bought a tiptronic (semi auto)

- Phil i do like the idea of a Nismo gear knob.. i heard it reduces the throw. Have u got a price for one of these pls?

sounds bit like this mod geared more for race track use.. round my area traffic is awful and lots of start stopping.. i get so lazy and end up changing gears only when the clutch is half depressed making loads of squeels.. not good - sometimes wish i bought a tiptronic (semi auto)

- Phil i do like the idea of a Nismo gear knob.. i heard it reduces the throw. Have u got a price for one of these pls?

details here

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... ht=#230378