How long should brake discs last on a Corolla ?

Sylvester

Mrs just had her 5 year old 1.6L Toyota Corolla serviced and they told her that not only the front brake pads needed replacing but also the discs. Happened before I got the chance to ask questions.

The car has done only £26K. Apart from the rare times that I get to drive it for a couple of miles with just me in the car ( when it gets thrashed a bit to clear the cobwebs ) it is driven by the Mrs. She is NOT a fast driver or a hard braker. Most miles have been in town and for the last 2.5 years most miles have been with a baby in the car so driven even more carefully!

I was surprised that the discs would need replacing on such a car given the lowish mileage - am I wrong ? How long would we expect Zed discs to last ( I know depends on usage but relative to a BAU car.. ) ?

Work was done by local Toyota dealership who have excellent reputation and we have used for 6 years and always been impressed with ( but of course there is always change ).

Yes car is kept outside and has been for 5 years so could be corroded I guess.

As I said work was done before I became aware of it so had no chance to discuss/look at discs myself.

Maybe the wife just drives like a maniac when I am not in the car..