South Korea....

Jacko

Dear all,

Just wondering if anyone here has either been to Seoul on vacation or even better worked/lived there?

There is a slim chance that I may be asked if I want to go work there for a few months, so anyone with any relevant input would be helpful?

Not guaranteed its going to happen yet, or that I'll go for the opportunity but just trying to have as much balanced info as I can..... But could be a good for some "life experience" :)

So has anyone been there, what were your thoughts etc...... ?

A long time ago Jacko but a nice place with great food. Just be careful when asking for menu translations.

Were you there on work Martin or just holiday? How long were you there for??

Guessing you implying about the "pet food" thing with menu's? :blush:

:lol::lol: no worse than Haggis or Black pudding Jacko. Havent been there for a long time now but it used to be a great country. Definately wouldnt see any problem living there.

My visits were on ships but we didnt do the normal merchant navy visits, always keen to see the country. Unlike now when a ship is in port for 24 hours we used to saty for5 days or so. I would say go for it iof you get the chance. Charming country and well worth exploring. :D

i lived there from 02-03 and 06-07. its an interesting country. It's very cold and windy in the winter, and hot and humid in the summer. Korean food is often very spicy, but delicious, especially if you like vegetables, but don't expect to find a hunk of meat on the menu. You'll have to go to an "American Style" restaurant to find that! there are a few in Iteawon.

YES they eat dog but it is a delicacy not something they sneak into your food. its something you have to specifically order. In the name of experiencing korea and its culture, i tried it with a korean coworker. it was in a soup. and wasnt all that bad, but didnt eat much cause my imagination was running wild.

Korean people are very hospitable when you know them, but if you have not been introduced, they can seem cold. They don't smile a lot in public, and like to look at foreigners... so expect to be stared at.

Korean people love to drink, so if you enjoy that, you will be right at home. Also, Korean people like to sing in "Singing Rooms" (like a private Karaoke), and there is a singing room on every corner... literally!

I spent a lot of time in the Itaewon area of Seoul. Tons of shopping. Great resteruants. and bars and clubs. Its also where you will run into tons of other english speaking expats

I have many fond memories of Korea and look forward to going back to visit. if you have any specific questions dont hesistate to ask