Thatcham or manufacturer's fitted?

Rentech

Hi all,

Trying to get some accurate quotes for my planned purchase but I'm unsure about the question that's asked 'Is an alarm or immobiliser fitted?' They give the option manufacturers fitted (which it is) and Thatcham cat 1 (which it is). Trouble is the quote is cheaper with the second entry :wacko: . Came across this issue with my last car and the insurance help desk doesn't seem to know either. Last time I was told I would have to produce a certificate if the alarm was cat1.....well I didn't have one as its factory fitted!

Has anybody found the answer to this or do I just put cat 1 and if it is ever queried show them the glossy brochure?

One would think that with todays technology insurance companies would know if a manufacurers fitted device was cat 1

The insurance database will know that the factory one is Cat 1. Who knows why it is different. Try one of the insurance traders on here, they seem to be pretty good and listen to your individual circumstances...... ;)

My previous insurer made me send them the certificate but the current one never. As said above - if it's stated in the Z literature see if that's good enough. Is it a big price difference?

Only around £10 difference but I will need to save at every opportunity to get the car I'm after :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

Trying to get some accurate quotes for my planned purchase but I'm unsure about the question that's asked 'Is an alarm or immobiliser fitted?' They give the option manufacturers fitted (which it is) and Thatcham cat 1 (which it is). Trouble is the quote is cheaper with the second entry :wacko: . Came across this issue with my last car and the insurance help desk doesn't seem to know either. Last time I was told I would have to produce a certificate if the alarm was cat1.....well I didn't have one as its factory fitted!

Has anybody found the answer to this or do I just put cat 1 and if it is ever queried show them the glossy brochure?

One would think that with todays technology insurance companies would know if a manufacurers fitted device was cat 1

If you qualify for the 350Z insurance scheme - http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... ae8607c79a - your car doesn't need an immobiliser as a prerequisite to getting insurance.