Few things - Crash damage - Speedometer - Exhaust

Vertakill

Just a few questions, as this car is really beginning to annoy me lately.

Skip #1 if you have no interest/experience in insurance/crashes etc.

1. To cut a long story short, a motorcyclist ran into the back corner of my car while trying to do an Evel Knievel style overtaking manoeuvre against oncoming traffic AS I was crossing the lane to go into a petrol station.

Anyways, the brake light, back bumper and the quarter panel (where petrol tank is) need replacing. However, there's a bit of a dispute with myself and the assessor for my insurance company, in that he thinks a part only needs repairing rather than replacing. The part is BEHIND the quarter panel and just under the brake light. I'll try to take a picture when I get home. If the part is repaired, the cost will be €2000-€3000.. However if it's replaced (which I think it should) it'll cost €6000-€8000 allegedly (50+ hours of labour). The part is badly damaged - twisted and broken metal so I definitely think it needs replacing.. after all that's what I'm paying my extortionate insurance for.

2. Yesterday a Ferrari 355 tried to race me on a fairly empty motorway. I'll save the results for another day but, after redlining each gear from 2nd>4th we slowed down and I noticed that, out of nowhere, my speedo just died. The speedo dials all dropped (revs/speed/water/petrol) to the bottom and the LEDs all disappeared. For a second I thought the car was about to lose all power but it didn't, everything was fine. Changed gears, revved a little.. no issues. Anyone have any idea what this is, or how worried I should be? Could it just be a lose connector or something?

3. The right exhaust is slightly hanging and it's making an annoying rattling noise every now and then. I've been told it's just a heat deflector rattling and it just needs to be screwed in properly as it's came loose. I haven't had time to check it out but has anyone got any insight?

Couple other small niggling things that make me go mad but I'll save them for another rant/post. Thanks! :)

- Crap, this was meant to be in Technical rather than Technical > Warranty.

1. If you advise them you will only accept the car if it is in A1 condition after the repair and you will reject it if you are not happy (and then they will incur more cost) you might get them to replace rather than repair in the first place.

2. Never heard of that before. Sounds like an electrical connection / issue.

3. Heard of that before, simple fix AFAIK.

Moved to technical. :)

Sounds like the insurance are trying to duck out of doing a proper repair to me.

Your insurance should return your car to you in the condition it was before the accident. Before the accident it didnt have repaired/welded parts, so why should it have when you get it back.

Cant picture exactly what you are talking about, but if its remotely connected to anything structural around the rear strut brace, then it wants replacing, and most certainly NOT repairing. Thats my view anyway.