Head unit fitting nightmare

Laurence C

Newly aquired 05 Datsun 350 ZED track package. PO had removed the original head unit broken  and in Japanese he threw it out still FITTED WITH ITS FITTING BRACKETS. I bought a new Pioneer double DIN, a steering wheel interface including option leads and a Double DIN surround for the ZED. On previous inspection I found head unit space completly different to Japanese import double din installs on Youtube. Brackets and all are COMPLETLY DIFFERENT normal units appear to screw in fom the back of centre plastics. Mine slid in from interior of car not the back of face panel. Bought a universal fitting kit from Halfords another 35 quid as the only bracket I have seen ARE NOT SUITABLE Those are on Ebay and are £80 SH in the US. No Ta !  Pulled the interior centre facia out today Tried fitting the steering wheel interface ALL THE BLOODY PLUGS ARE DIFFERENT. Interface unusable. more money well spent. The Halfords universal fitting kit has two foam pads in it, stickey stuff on both sides. All other contents unusable too. £35 for two stickey foam pads ? More dosh well spent. Head unit now stuck in hole with these foams but requires pulling out again to position a bit better But IT IS IN, IT IS WORKING lots of new bits left over unusable.  NOT AN ECOMNOMOIC EXERCISE. Thats me tale of woe fitting a double DIN. At least now I got sounds. Now to get me music on a memory pen so I do not need to arse with my phone to change 150 albums.

Edited by Laurence C