Battery Draw

Merik

Hey, 

I was hoping I could get some your experiences, my Z is on her second battery in 2 months. I have driven the car once a week for a decent sum of miles yet the battery this week has completely died reading 0v. Is this something that's quite a common thing in these cars? Will I have to drive the car more often to stop the idle draw on the current being too much of an issue?

Thanks 

Step one- confirm if there’s defintely 100% a draw (not that I don’t believe you but seeing is believing) get an ammeter and find out how much it’s drawing) or is the alternator shagged/ not charging the battery up? (Check inside on the gauge to see what it’s reading and confirm with a multimeter/ battery tester if you have one, how’s the belt looking? 

Step 2- once confirmed there’s a battery draw, are there any consumer units that don’t power down inside? does the car register all the doors are shut? ( this would probably cause the alarm to go off but vag stuff loves to do this kind of stuff) have you got an aftermarket cheap headunit or auxiliary lights that might be causing an issue? If you find something auxiliary that doesn’t seem to be powering down find the fuse and pull it  out and see if that makes a difference on the ammeter, if it does then there’s the system to investigate, if not go back and keep trying.

If youve bought a new battery and given it a long run it shouldn’t be dying that quick, although at the same time it won’t help not being driven regularly etc

Battery should be 14.2v with the lights on minimum if you want to test that it’s charging properly