350z 2008 HR Cruise/Map Switching Relocation/Retrofit - DIY

Brown56

First off, If this goes wrong, i hold no responsibility!

So when i first looked at 350z's i did the classic thing of being so overwhelmed that i was going to own one, i completly disregarded the trim level. So i got a Non GT HR.

Dont get me wrong, i love the car, had it for 3 years and never really been bothered by the lack of cruise control.

Since lock down has started, iv started getting bored and spending money on the Z (Havent we all :oops:) After fitting Brides, NRG QR Wheel, Stilen Gen3's, Tomei, ISR Decats, and Miltek Y, i decided a remap was needed. I then realised the error of my car choice... no map switching! I really wanted the pop and bang maps, but i didnt want it on all the time.

After hunting around online i found out @Adrian@TORQEN sells the 350z Retro fit cruise switches. How hard can it be?

The problem was, with the NRG wheel and QR i didnt want to mount the switch on the hub (it just looks messy)

Parts/Tools
350z Cruise Retrofit switches - Link

Some 4 core flexi wire (i got a 5m roll from screwfix)
Some snips

Soldering kit, or a way of joining wires (i actually used some Connector blocks so that i could re do the wiring if needed)

MultiMeter - With an audiable continuity test

2 x Saftey pins

The process is pretty straight forward, apart from the wiring, that was the bit that stumped me !

Firstly, remove the wheel, and hub so you can see the plug where the horn/airbag/steering controls go. On my NRG the QR was held in with around 6 alen key bolts and then the hub was held on with a 17mm nut.

Once this is all removed, remove the lower half of the steering colum plastic, this is just held in with 4 philips screws. It might help if you have a pry tool to seperate it from the upper half.

Once this is out, you will find a metal cage around the wiring, this is held in with 3 philips screws, 2 at the back, one at the front on the left hand side. Remove this.

You should now have full access to a Grey and yellow plug just behind the hub. You will want the Grey Plug.
Everywhere i looked online seemed to have differant colour wires compared to me? you will notice the wires going into the hub steeringwheel side do not match the colours comming out of the grey plug. This is the tricky part!

Colour wires

1 - Yellow with Green Stripe

2 - Black with White Stripe

3 - Orange

4 - Yellow

5 - Black

6 - Red with Black Stripe

7 - Green

8 - Red with Green Stripe

IMG_20200519_100121.jpg.9dc5b35a1cb04d0eb8d84803649d5b3d.jpg

(excuse my poor drawing of the plug)

For me, i used wires 1,2,5,6 . I would imagine they are the same on all Z's in terms of wire location, but colours would be differant.

Cut the end of your plug off from the cruise switch and plug it into the hub.

For cruise control, you will only need to look at the Red, Yellow, Pink, and black cables. The rest are for the horn and volume controls.

Put a safety pin down the side of the red wire so its touching the metal conection within the plug, then place the a pin in wire "1" the other side of the hub on the Grey plug.

Get your multimeter and put it in continuity mode, this will basicly check the wire reaches each end of the multimeter prongs. Place one prong on each of the paper clips. If you get a tone, you have a "Complete circuit"

Move the paper clip along each wire in the grey plug and write down what wire gives you a tone for each wire steering wheel side.

I got the following:

Steering Wheel side                                   Grey plug Side

Red                                                                Green/Yellow

Black                                                              Black + Black/White

Yellow                                                            Red/Black

Pink                                                                Black + Black/White

Next i drilled a small hole in the front of the sliding ashtray, towards the gear stick. This was so i could feed the cable through as i wanted to mount the controls in teh ash tray. I fed the multi core, through, alongside the gearstick and up to the grey plug

I cut the Green/Yellow and Red/Black wires from the grey plug and connected them to one core each out of the multi core cable i had run, and then connected the corresponding Red and Yellow wires from the switch to teh corresponding cores. This essentially used up wires 1 and 6 on the grey plug.

I found in the owners manual that the black wire on teh cruise switch actually goes through two connections within the hub, and comes out on the black/white cable. So that uses up plug points 1,2,6

As i was getting a tone on port 5 for the pink cable, and that was the only one i wasnt sure on, i took the chance and connected it to port 5 (black)

Install the Brake and clutch switch that comes with the kit (my car already had the clutch one installed for some reason)

and good news. After a map, it all worked!

Will try and get some photos up soon