350z cut out whilst driving & won't attempt to turn over?

JMRolfe

Hi 

My 350 has been sitting still for 4 weeks. Got in 1/2 expecting a flat battery but started instantly, not problems (had full tank of fuel if relevant). 

About 5 miles into my drive, the engine seemed to cut out for a fraction of a second, speedo dropped to zero, but then all restored as though nothing had happened. 

I tried accelerating / breaking / pulled over etc but didn't reoccur or show anything unusual. 

10miles further on. It cut out again, this time not restarting. I was doing approx 60mph, in gear etc. but speedo said 0 and lights were on as though it was waiting to be started?? 

Whilst moving I slowed down to approx 15mph and effectively did a bump start but nothing happened at all. Engine turned happily but dials show the revs etc. but no speed? Accelerater pedal did nothing.

Pulled over, and it's acting as though the clutch hasn't been depressed when trying to start it. 

Alternator seems to work.  Battery went dead whilst at side of road with hazards, lights on etc. for 45min waiting for a friend.

Jump start did nothing / made no difference. 

We retried bump starting whilst he towed it. Didn't work but did give enough charge for lights etc. for following 5min? Hence me thinking alternator isn't the problem? 

Don't know if it was a silly thing to do but ended up periodically putting it back in gear whilst on two as for downhills it kept tention in the tow rope and reinstated power steering / breaks / power etc. 

It was raining yesterday, and post this incident front wipers are not responding? Rear works fine? 

Does anyone have any ideas? 

I'm assuming it is either electrical or blockage in the fuel line & the ecu knows not to bother until fuel is through?? 

Many thanks 
James