I.C.E Recommendation- East Anglia

rayrrr

Looking to get some car audio equipment installed.

The place I went to in Cambridge was wayyy overpriced and didnt seem very knowledgeable

Anyone know of a Respectable car audio install place that does good quality work, knows what they are talking about, and wont charge an arm and leg?

P1010051.jpg

How do you mean overpriced? If you want a dealer to install equipment you have bought elsewhere, it can be that way as they have to earn their money in labour as they're not making any money on kit. Someone with any experience earning £30k is going to need to charge at least £250 a day to cover costs..... ;)

H5 is spot on. They also generally don't like doing it as if they install it and it does not work they will have no confidence the equipment is good. As a result you could end up with them installing it and then having a problem and having to pay another X hours of £30/h to get the problem resolved.

Generally the rule of thumb is IMO buy off the internet / as cheap as you can if you are going to be installing it yourself / getting a mate to but if you are getting a shop to do the installation best to get the equipment from them too.

How much were you quoted and what was that for. Did it involve custom work i.e. how are you wanting to mount the amps and where is the sub box going?

How do you mean overpriced? If you want a dealer to install equipment you have bought elsewhere, it can be that way as they have to earn their money in labour as they're not making any money on kit. Someone with any experience earning £30k is going to need to charge at least £250 a day to cover costs..... ;)

if thats the case I guess it wasnt as overpriced as i thought. I recently moved here from the states so i was expecting the prices to be comparable. Thanks for the info.

H5 is spot on. They also generally don't like doing it as if they install it and it does not work they will have no confidence the equipment is good. As a result you could end up with them installing it and then having a problem and having to pay another X hours of £30/h to get the problem resolved.

Generally the rule of thumb is IMO buy off the internet / as cheap as you can if you are going to be installing it yourself / getting a mate to but if you are getting a shop to do the installation best to get the equipment from them too.

How much were you quoted and what was that for. Did it involve custom work i.e. how are you wanting to mount the amps and where is the sub box going?

£300 to install the amps the headunit and rearview cam. I have all the parts and hardware needed. The sub box fits in front of the strut bar.

A friend of mine offered to help with the install for a case beer. as good as that sounded i was thinking that a professional install would be nicer. but im rethinking that decision.

To do all that properly is easily going to take a day if not more as you would need to take lots of the interior trim off to route all the cables properly. rear bumper removal for wiring the rear cam etc.

It all adds up so £300 for all that IMO is not that far off the mark.