Exhaust Noise = Increase

350matty

Same happened with mine (2004). Took it to the local exhaust dealer to have it checked out and he said this was a common problem on the Z.

There is a flange connection between the back box and the piece of exhaust pipe running down the centre of the car to the engine Y section.

The flanges on these two pieces bolt together. The flange, on the back box end of this connection, had broken away from the exhaust pipe.

They cut out the complete old flange connection, made a new one from stainless and welded it in. Perfect job costing £120 if memory serves.

The back box itself was sound, just as well because a new one was quite expensive (around £300 I believe) and would have taken a couple of days to be delivered

Cool looks like ill need to get mine welded. Can you get a photo on the job, interested on what it looks like.

£120! If i go somewhere else other than the dealer surely i could get it done easily under £100??

Sorry for the delay, Ive been away. Not much good with the old computer but I'll try to get a pic posted.

Wish I hadn’t bothered taking the pic now cos its confused me. The st st bit seems to have been welded on the good end of the exhaust while the end that was damaged looks to be the original flange (which I know for sure was broken). Anyway this is the repair. Hope it helps and hope the pic size is ok as the original was to big and had to get my daughter to crop it for me.

Just got back from exhaust place. Ive been quoted 50 pounds to get it fixed.

I mentioned getting it fixed like yours but he said he is affraid that the other side would do extactly the same sometime down the line so he suggested cutting the pipe from both sides then welding it together as one.

This would be a better job. I agreed cos i dont want to pay anyone and want it finished asap.

Taking it in tomorrow morn. Will update you and post a pic.

Could do but its 50 starting bid, and im sure it wont end. The journey itself would cost me money. Thanks anyway.

When this is repaired, going to think about Nismo exhaust. That or go travelling in the summer!

Could do but its 50 starting bid, and im sure it wont end. The journey itself would cost me money. Thanks anyway.

When this is repaired, going to think about Nismo exhaust. That or go travelling in the summer!

they dont usually sell for much more but i see your point :thumbs:

Fifty quid can’t be bad. On reflection I think I’ve been ripped. When I took the car in for an estimate I agreed with this guy that the best option was to cut out and replace the whole flanged assembly, that’s why I mentioned it in my earlier post. When I picked the car up this guy's buddy had done the job and said it was OK. Taking the picture surprised me and highlighted that the job had been done differently.

Think I’ll go back and complain. :rant:

Job is done there have done a good job. Will post a picture on soon.

My car sounds silent now. I must have been driving it for a long time with a small gap between the pipes because my exhaust is quiter than before. So ive gone from the noise level im use, a level down :(

Need this Nismo exhaust!

Oh and my car seems faster now Yipee!