Rear axle clunk

kano

Bought a 2012 370z in late April, I noticed a clunking noise when going from reverse to forward, and sometimes when stopped to forward, I assumed it was the brake pads rattling in the calipers. Its been annoying me a little so I decided to investigate by removing the wheel and seeing if anything was loose.

Here's a brief video I took:

Is this normal? I was surprised by the amount of slack in the drive train and the pretty loud clunk when the hub was rotated. That's just one hand, so you can imagine the clunk with the force of setting off. It seems to be doing this both sides. Never had this issue with my 350z which I had for 10 years!

Is this the clicky/clunking axle issue, which can be fixed by lubricating and retorqing the hub nut? Tomorrow I might have a go so see if this helps, but just use a bit of lithium grease I have handy.

I grabbed the driveshaft and there was only a few mm of lateral (in/out) play in it which I suspect is about right.

Edited by kano