Japspeed intake

z350convert

Having read tons of stuff on here I ignored all the advice and bought a short induction kit from Japspeed thinking, well it didn't cost much and if it's a disaster I've only blown £40 on a bit of nice pipe and a cone filter.

It arrived quickly, well packed and it all looked pretty good quality wise, so I was quite pleased.

Installing it proved to be more of a challenge than I was expecting. There being no instructions was no surprise but finding the induction pipe didn't fit correctly to the throttle body and the breather pipe being in the wrong place for a z certainly was. I rang Japspeed who were easy to get through to and very helpful. They thought the difference in the bore of the intake pipe and throttle body could be accommodated by the flexi hoses they supplied but I wasn't really happy with that so I sleeved it out with a reducer. The breather pipe was a real pig but I have sorted that with a brass elbow piece from Wickes and some mods to the hose.

It's all a tight fit but it's in and looks fine. However, busting a flange on the MAFF housing wasn't part of the plan and although I have bodged it temporarily a member has come to the rescue with a replacement. The elbow on the breather doesn't give me any peace of mind, so having had one come off on another car and sprayed oil all over the car, me and a stretch of the M4 I'm going to improve that as well.

So on start up it fired, a relief since I spray cleaned the MAFF at the same time. It sounds, well pretty much the same which is a bit of a relief as I didn't want a Banshee, it sounds good anyway with the Cobra plumbing. I just drove it round the block and I could detect no difference and no leaks so I will give it a run and see what changes there are. No sign of any warning lights coming on but the idle is a little rapid so if it doesn't settle I will re set the throttle body.

I hope this report proves useful to someone.