Any domestic Electricians here?

cmr1991

Just a quicky before I get funked off by a local sparky....

I have 12 LED down lights daisy changed along my kitchen.

The 12 in the row is currently in an alcove, I would like this to be switched separately, Is it as easy as just removing the downlight and adding a switch into the end of the circuit and then having the downlight after the switch in the alcove?

If so its reasonable for me as it would be key-hole surgery more than a full on tear the ceilings down job.

Asking for opinions so I know they will be genuine if they tell me its not as easy as it seems.

Thanks

all depends on where you want to switch the light from.

All you will have at the last light if the light in the alcove is the last down light (if its wired that way) would be a switched live, neutral and earth.

If you wanted to switch it from the same switch location as your current switch but on separate switch to the other 11 down lights then you need to run a new switched live and earth from that switch to the light.

This would mean running the cable up/ thur the wall into the ceiling void. Normally lifting the floor above and routing the cable to the down light. Or entering the roof space if a space above. If its a flat roof then its all down to which way the joints run and weather there are any cross members bracing the ceiling joists. generally if you cann't get into the ceiling void then it you need to stitch the ceiling and drill holes in each joist.

For the cost of this sort of job people generally wont bother having it done.

The sparkies will also want to know how old your consumer unit is, if your gas and water bonds are in 10mm earth and if you have rcd protection.

Edited by martinh55

All you will have at the last light if the light in the alcove is the last down light (if its wired that way) would be a switched live, neutral and earth.

If you wanted to switch it from the same switch location as your current switch but on separate switch to the other 11 down lights then you need to run a new switched live and earth from that switch to the light.

This would mean running the cable up/ thur the wall into the ceiling void. Normally lifting the floor above and routing the cable to the down light. Or entering the roof space if a space above. If its a flat roof then its all down to which way the joints run and weather there are any cross members bracing the ceiling joists. generally if you cann't get into the ceiling void then it you need to stitch the ceiling and drill holes in each joist.

The sparkies will also want to know how old your consumer unit is if your gas and water bonds are in earth 10mm and if you have rcd protection.

Thanks for the info!

Might make it a bit more tricky that there is already two switches in the room for the downlights, one switch at one door, one at the other.

Everything is rewired recently with the new 17th Ed consumer unit and everything is earth bonded

The sparkies will also want to know how old your consumer unit is if your gas and water bonds are in earth 10mm and if you have rcd protection.

Thanks for the info!

Might make it a bit more tricky that there is already two switches in the room for the downlights, one switch at one door, one at the other.

Everything is rewired recently with the new 17th Ed consumer unit and everything is earth bonded

nah that's the 2 way switch. you need a switched live to that light from the switch that has the common live in it and that will sort it out. if its 17th then shouldn't be be too much of an issue. its the ceiling void that's the issus