HELP - Radio stuck in 'phone' mode and won't turn off

DW91

Hi everyone, all of a sudden my radio is stuck in phone mode and refuses to switch off even with the key removed. I've disconnected the battery and that seemed to fix it, but as soon as I start the car again it goes back into phone mode. I've tried starting with the bluetooth adapter unplugged in case it was that, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I don't understand why this would suddenly happen.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Hi Randy,

Thanks for replying.

None of the steering buttons are stuck.

If you disconnect the Bluetooth module completely

Is the bluetooth module the thing that looks like a small mobile phone kept inside the cubby hole? If it is, then I've disconnected the receiver part that pulls out, but it still displays 'phone' on the screen and won't turn off.

You shouldn't be able to power the stereo when the ignition is off, but I don't know how that's controlled. Its a very odd problem that's for sure. Are you based near any of the ZED sheds?

Is it an OEM stereo and have you or the previous owner ever had the stereo out?

My only guesses would be something in the wiring loom or the fuses. I'd take the stereo out and check all the wiring looms are connected properly and nothing looks odd.

There's a guide here:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/45398-how-to-bose-phono-ipod-hack-guide/

You shouldn't be able to power the stereo when the ignition is off, but I don't know how that's controlled. Its a very odd problem that's for sure. Are you based near any of the ZED sheds?

Is it an OEM stereo and have you or the previous owner ever had the stereo out?

My only guesses would be something in the wiring loom or the fuses. I'd take the stereo out and check all the wiring looms are connected properly and nothing looks odd.

There's a guide here:

http://www.350z-uk.c...pod-hack-guide/

Thanks, I'll take a look tomorrow.

It's an OEM stereo yeah. I've had 0 problem with it since owning the car, it randomly became stuck in phone mode and wouldn't switch off! It's extremely odd.

BTW where do I find a list of zed sheds? I'm in the north east if that helps.

Edited by DW91

I've pulled out the radio fuse which temporarily fixes the problem, but it means i'm driving without a stereo now.

Also when i put the fuse back in, the car still goes into phone mode, so it must be an electrical fault somewhere. According to the manual, phone mode only appears when there is an incoming call. Really strange as i've never used the bluetooth option since owning the car.

My cars parked a 5 minute walk away otherwise I'd check, but from memory, 'Phone' is displayed on the radio when:

1) I turn the ignition on, presume this is the bluetooth pairing and its only displayed for a few seconds

2) I receive a call

3) I press the steering wheel controls to instigate a call. I think it comes up as soon as the controls are pressed, so it starts before before dialling has started.This is why I thought one of the buttons may be stuck down.

I checked this morning and what I said above is correct, providing the Bluetooth cartridge is in the arm rest docking station. If you remove the bluetooth cartridge then as far as I can tell there is no way to trigger the head unit to display 'Phone'.

And this is my problem. I've tried every combination, cartridge in/out ignition on/off... nothing works. It literally stays stuck in this phone setting, only going off when I take out the fuse.

Here's a photo I took showing you what I mean. You can see the cartridge. This was taken with the ignition off and key out.

20170214_141319.jpg

• 6 years later...