Replacement head unit

Zigi1

Hi everyone,

First of all, let me 'fess up - I don't (yet) own a 350Z although I'm considering buying one (yep - mid-life crisis I'm afraid) and have just registered with the site so please bear with me if I don't get the protocols right and seem lacking in knowledge!

The car I'm considering is a 2004 GT and I have a question regarding the Bose system. First off, the phone adaptor is missing which I gather from a bit of research isn't uncommon. Also, the unit has the problem of skipping when playing CDs which I also gather was a problem with the original units which Nissan sorted under the warranty so I assume the original owner didn't get this done. My question is: What sort of price would I be looking at to replace the head unit with something a bit more up to date, i.e. get rid of the cassette player (even though I'm old enough to still have loads of cassettes lying around) and add a touch screen? I assume if I did this the lack of an adaptor would become irrelevant - is that right? Also, I'd need to retain Bluetooth and would still want the steering wheel controls to work (I get the impression that it's impossible to get the phone answer button to work with retro-fits - am I right on that?) Don't have the technical expertise I'm afraid to do the work myself so would have to get this done professionally.

:wacko: Can anyone provide a guesstimate on the likely costs and feasibility? Any information and advice will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Zigi1

My advice is to toss the Bose system. It's genuinely not all it's cracked up to be.

Replace it with a double Din system of your choice. You can buy the fascias, looms and connectors here:

https://incartec.co.uk/nissan/1929/1036/device/radio/Browser.aspx

First thing I'd do would be pick a new head unit - I have a Pioneer system that has onboard GPS/Satnav, uses Apple Carplay / Android Auto and the interface is seamless. If you're just after music and radio there are a lot of good deals.

I'd highly recommend getting a unit with Satnav though, as even if your Z comes with the built in system, it's utter garbage.

Thanks for the advice Z Fanatic, and for that link to the adaptor kits which is a real find! Looks like about £350/£400 to get a basic unit and adaptors plus fitting so will consider that when deciding whether to go for this one as there's another available with a Kenwood unit already fitted - guess I'm sold on the 350z though, was going to go for a 3.2 V6 TT just to get the rear seats but, what the heck, my wife can have the passenger seat and our son can hang onto the roof!

Thanks again

Zigi1