Arch Rust - anyone successfully kept this away after a repair?

colesl4w

Hi all,

Hope you all had a great Christmas break.

I have an area of bubbling on my rear driver side arch, not far from the fuel flap. It has been slowly getting worse, and originally I wasn't really concerned as I thought it would be a simple matter of getting a small area cut out, patched up and painted. Now that I have read into it, I see that the rear arches on the Z have two layers, and therefore once rust sets in, repairs may only last a few months before rust shows up again.

Has anyone successfully repaired rust spots on their rear arches, and had the rust stay away permanently? If so, what method was used?

I do love this car but don't fancy starting a losing battle with rust if any fixes are only temporary! Would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks!

Cut out the rusted piece, blast area to bare metal, spray with zinc weld through primer, weld in repair and paint. Then, and this is the important bit, bladder the inside with Dinitrol, Dynax or similar hoping it will seep into the tight gap between the inner and outer wing.

The problem with welding a new bit in, is that the heat burns off any protective coating between the two panels. Added to this, welded steel seems to rust faster.

Someone technical will tell me why hopefully.

Hope that all makes sense. If you own an old JAAAAAG you have to become an expert at keeping the "patina" at bay. :lol:

There are some pics in the build thread of me cutting out and repairing a rear arch section. I'd post pics but my photobucket account has been taken over by dawned ads and pop ups!

Edited by leonk

I had exactly the same problem, in the same area - rear wing by the filler cap. Seems like a common issue on some of the older Zeds. Got a number of quotes from local bodyshops - around £250 for a quick fix, or £500 to do it properly, as described above - cut out, treat and weld in new metal, spray and seal. On the basis of recommendations and experience from others with the same issue, I went for the latter, more expensive option as I wanted a long term solution. This was last summer, the bodyshop did a great job and I've not had any issues since. I'm based in Southampton and used the bodyshop Pitt-Stop Garage.

• Like 1