Wider Tyre on Stock Rays

Rook

Apologies if this is covered but I can't find it if it has.

I fancy going wider on the rear but at least for now I'm gunna keep the stock Rays alloys.

I've heard a difference in size between front and rear can upset the traction control - mine's always switched off, is this something I need to worry about?

Anyhow - I was thinking 255/45/R18 on the rear, will this fit? Will it be ok with a 225/45/R18 on the front?

Wouldn't really want to make the total circumference any smaller, I think the wheels already struggle to properly fill the arches. This looks about 1% larger in diameter which I feel should be fine!

Going Falken 453 if that makes any difference to anyone.

Thanks!

Edited by Rook

255 on an 8.5 rim would fit fine. heck a 265 could go on comfortably as well.

could always change the entire setup - go from 225/45 and 245/45 to 245/40 and 265/40.

if you don't have TCS on you don't need to worry too much about the correct ratio between front and rear diameters - but i'd try and keep them within 2% of standard.

on a related note, why do you want wider tyres, it is just a looks thing? cos it will affect the characteristics of the car, and if its more grip you're looking for you'd be better off upgrading the tyre, rather than just going wider.

could always change the entire setup - go from 225/45 and 245/45 to 245/40 and 265/40.

if you don't have TCS on you don't need to worry too much about the correct ratio between front and rear diameters - but i'd try and keep them within 2% of standard.

on a related note, why do you want wider tyres, it is just a looks thing? cos it will affect the characteristics of the car, and if its more grip you're looking for you'd be better off upgrading the tyre, rather than just going wider.

Thanks for that.

More the look than anything. My Z still has the awful tyres I bought it with but they were basically new when I got it so didn't see wasting money changing them until they needed it.

Ive got spacers on, and just a tad more width and even the 1% increase in circumference are just what it needs to look bang on until I lower it.

The impression I get is wider means more steering in - anything else?

Thanks for that.

More the look than anything. My Z still has the awful tyres I bought it with but they were basically new when I got it so didn't see wasting money changing them until they needed it.

Ive got spacers on, and just a tad more width and even the 1% increase in circumference are just what it needs to look bang on until I lower it.

The impression I get is wider means more steering in - anything else?

From my understanding, wheel spacers increase the track width, causing an increase in turn radius.

I've got 25mm Front at the moment (With the Zed already having a bad turning circle) it's hardly noticeable.

But, I believe that if you wheel spacer, you can then adjust the steering stop? in-turn giving more turning radius than stock? Due to the wheel not rubbing being spaced out.

Fitting a wider tyre without spacer I think would only make it worse.