Boot problem, or things you learn when you read the manual

PiGFoetus

I was preparing to leave for a long drive up to Huddersfield on Friday night (having already done a trip to Reading and back from Herefordshire that day). Mate was holding an old skool LAN weekend, so loaded PC and monitor and accessories into the boot (couldn't do that with the Z in the old days with a CRT monitor, I can tell you). Everything just about fits ... my daughter's stuff (for she was coming with) would have to sit at her feet. Shut boot after shifting things around, moved some stuff off the front seat into the glove box behind the passenger seat, so the girl had somewhere to sit. It was dark and getting on, with the M42 in chaos and a long journey via the M6 in store. Went back in the house, hurried the girl along, got her loaded into the car, grabbed my jacket, went to put it in the boot, where it should still fit and provide some cushioning for the PC bits and ... nothing. Boot refused to open. Lock / Unlock, try again ... nothing ... get her to try to pull up the boot while I pressed the release button ... nothing. It was cold, she was starting to moan and all my stuff was locked in the boot.

So after 10 minutes fiddling about, it was time to go back inside and consult the Oracle. Found out where the secondary boot release cable was supposed to be, and then ... one thing caught my eye in the manual. External boot switch "switch" ... enables and disables the external boot switch. Blimey, I didn't know I had one of them. Where is it? Top middle of the glove box where I'd just stuffed the things on the passenger seat. Went out, located it, flipped it and bingo: all good again. I must have caught it and flipped it when putting things in the glove box.

So a half hour delay on my journey, but I now know I have a switch I didn't know about before. Maybe this knowledge will help other ham-fisted types who don't know it's there in the future. :)

• Like 3