Topping up coolant.

mr v6

I've kept a regular check on fluid levels with the Z since getting her in September, but this morning the minimum coolant level was just below the minimum level mark after being stood overnight in icy temperatures. I topped it off with water after checking it's level with one of the many floating disc type testers (Sealey). I did notice an outlet on the top of the tank pointing towards the drivers side, I take it this is the vent? As with any hot liquid you're going to lose some from natural evaporation, I don't have any apparent leaks.

You also have a tank attached by a small pipe, at the top of the rad, by the cap, which is the overflow tank which is all you need to check, as it need to be filled to the correct level, as what happens is that usually when the engine is turned off the coolant temp rises quickly and expands, which in turn pushes open the spring loaded plate in the rad cap allowing coolant into the tank,

A similar effect happens once the system has cooled, it literally sucks back the coolant to fill the negative pressure void previously created, so if you where to check the tank shortly after a drive it will usually have a lower level, and higher when cold.

Just top the tank up to the mark when cold if it needs it, and you will likely never have to touch the rad, unless you have a leak.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky