Drivetrain clonk

HmmBen

Hi all

I've had a search and couldn't find anything relating to my problem. I'm very sure it's not Drive shafts making this noise.

Anyway the problem is a heavy clonk when coming off and on throttle aggressively when in a high gear. 5th for example about 50mph come off throttle, wait for a second and when going back on there's a thud. It's quite loud and it feels though it's hitting the floor.

I've looked at the diff bush but that shows no sign of leaking fluid. What are the engine and gearbox mounts like for giving up?

The car is a 2005 with very high mileage

Edited by HmmBen

I had the same and it was the diff bush - although that's not helpful as it could be engine or gearbox mounts for you.

You might have to give the drivetrain an aggressive wobbling? :wacko:

I can say that replacing the diff bush with a decent after-market one made the car like new again - its amazing how a slack diff bush can ruin the power delivery.

Yeah it's very clumsy trying to do aggressive gear changes and getting back on power fast.

I don't want to throw money at every bush though. Are the subframes bushes usually sound?

Maybe I'll have to try and get it on the ramp and try take up slack with the brakes on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk