Idler pulley tensioner bolt wont stay seated.

Randy_Baton

I was tightening my belts today and the tensioner arm on the a/c idler pulley won't stay in the bracket (the bottom green circle here:)

tn_DSCF0697b.jpg

how-to-service-vq35-ac-pulley-3-300x225.jpg

I've re-seated the bolt so it sits in the bracket as above but when i tighten it up it gets to a certain point (which is on the lower side of acceptable belt tension) and the bolt pops out of the bracket. To make that a little clearer based on the image above the right hand end of the bolt move towards the camera.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it. The only thing that has come to mind since I came back in, is that maybe I've loosened off the lock nut on the pulley too much and its allowing too much play in the bolt

Any ideas?

Edited by Randy_Baton

I didn't have any issues last week on mine & it's th first Z I've done the belts on. You only need to loosen the 14mm nut on the idler enough for it to be adjusted. Is the thread on your adjuster screw corroded with rust which maybe causing an issue?