Resonance/Noise From Catalytic Converter/Heat Shields

Skyrider

Hi,

I am experiencing some resonance/noise which seems to be coming from the area around the catalytic converter & associated heat shields, which are somewhat corroded.

My dealer tells me that the only fix is to replace the entire front end of the exhaust, which includes these components, at great expense.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to cure this at a more acceptable cost?

Thanks.

Rip the heat shields off, that will most likely cure the problem. If it doesn't, then the cat internals may have deteriorated and are rattling about, but most likely it'll be the former.

Thanks Kyle. I believe that there are heat shields both above & below the converter: the lower ones seem easy enough to get at, not sure about the top ones. How easy/difficult a job would you say this is (for someone who is useless at car mechanics/DIY)?

Rip the heat shields off, that will most likely cure the problem. If it doesn't, then the cat internals may have deteriorated and are rattling about, but most likely it'll be the former.

Thanks Kyle. I believe that there are heat shields both above & below the converter: the lower ones seem easy enough to get at, not sure about the top ones. How easy/difficult a job would you say this is (for someone who is useless at car mechanics/DIY)?

Honestly no idea, I've never done it, but if you can climb under the car and poke the heat shields, I'm sure you'll soon find which one(s) are lose and just remove them, hopefully it's a bottom one.

Honestly no idea, I've never done it, but if you can climb under the car and poke the heat shields, I'm sure you'll soon find which one(s) are lose and just remove them, hopefully it's a bottom one.

Thanks Kyle, I'll take a look...