Convertible hood cracking up

bdabinett

Is your convertible roof showing cracks in the material?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Is your convertible roof showing cracks in the material?

• Yes - I have cracks, I will have to buy a new roof as Nissan isn't resposnible for the hood!
    • No - lucklily Nissan seemed to make my roof ok.

I've got a UK 05/05 roadster. Guess what? The hood has holes appearing in it and not when you open it! Its not from malicious damage or accident but the material itself is starting to shear apart (not at the seams but in the middle of the panels), seems worst around what would be between the b-pillar and c-pillar, where it goes from the windows to the rear screen.

Best bit is Nissan say its not a manufacturing problem! So the dealer can't do anything more and I have to try and sort it out now. :angry:

So Nissan, who else supplied the material for the hood then and fitted it? Perhaps its a hobby project, so I can spend the time when my car is in the garage being fixed with a duff gearbox or failing wheel bearings fabricating a replacement hood.

Next is the joy of spending 3 hours in total on hold today to talk to 'customer service' to have my number taken with an assurance of a call back which never occured, so back to it on Monday.

Anyway I wondered if any other convertible owners were seeing the same thing? They look like small cracks when they first appear.

:scare::scare:

I dont know if I dare look!!!

I will have a look in the daylight tomorrow if I remember, but Im not impressed. Especially if they say its NOT a manufacturing fault! Is it supposed to crack!:scare:

Would you be able to take a picture so we all know what to look for?

Hi there and welcome! :welcome:

I heard of this issue in the US, but our Roadster owners afaik haven't experienced this!

if you have no luck with NMGB CS I suggest you to start writing letters mate! and send them to the big bosses too :)

Of course it is a warranty issue, roof is supposed to withstand elements, nevermind cracking!

sorry to hear about your problems :(

Of course this is a warranty issue - I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise after only a year in service - however I have not noticed anything amiss on my 05 ZR, and now I daren't look either :scare:

Anyway, there is mention of similar proble here http://www.cliffshade.com/350zr/issues.asp#ragtop

Quote 'Early-2004 roadsters can develop pinhole leaks in their ragtops  apparently from repeated chaffing against the rear metal strut. Oddly, the holes usually develop on the passenger side. The potential for leaks is apparently limited to roadsters (like mine) manufactured in June and July, 2003. Nissan apparently made substantial changes to the top's design and materials after that. My July, 2003 top remained water-tight for about 9 months. When a pinhole appeared in the usual location, my Nissan dealer replaced the top under warranty without a squawk.

To inspect your ragtop for pinholes, get inside the car with the top up on a sunny day and look for light coming through the cloth  particularly around the bends in the rear crossbar. Confirm any pinholes with a flashlight, then take your roadster in for a top replacement (cloth plus frame) right away. Nissan has been replacing leaking tops without hesitation, but they apparently won't replace tops with partial-thickness rub marks alone.'

I hope this is not a case o NMGB denying faults that have been well documented in other markets again :thumbdown: Not very good treatment for premium model car buyers is it......

Hi Yorky, checked out that link adn yep sure enough pinhole appearing in the roof replaced immediately by NIssan in the US with no issue!

ALso intersting that in the US you get 2 years worth of warranty for new tyres due ot the feathering problem on the front tyres.

I'll you know how it goes on Monday with the Nissan warranty obsfication team.

Thanks

brian