ecv valve location

wilo

hi guys quick question.....

iv just took the plastic engine cover off as I want to check the ecv valve due to oil consumption.

when stood at the front of the car facing the engine .....which side is it at please.

also do i need to replace washer etc after removel and refit ...cheers

I presume you mean the PCV valve, if you mean the one with the ball valve in it, its on the left side at the front end of the cam cover, and the pipe connects to the plenum, it highly unlikely that this would be the cause of high oil consumption, due to the fact that the system works but pulling oil vapour/blow-by into the plenum, if this valve is blocked it wont pull any oil through, and if its stuck the result is that as engine revs rise, the plenum depression lowers so the same result.

If you have high oil consumption, and don't have the rev-up engine, then i would first run a compression test,and go from there, its more likly to be a ring/bore seal problem, has the engine got a high mileage and no full service history?

I presume you mean the PCV valve, if you mean the one with the ball valve in it, its on the left side at the front end of the cam cover, and the pipe connects to the plenum, it highly unlikely that this would be the cause of high oil consumption, due to the fact that the system works but pulling oil vapour/blow-by into the plenum, if this valve is blocked it wont pull any oil through, and if its stuck the result is that as engine revs rise, the plenum depression lowers so the same result.

If you have high oil consumption, and don't have the rev-up engine, then i would first run a compression test,and go from there, its more likly to be a ring/bore seal problem, has the engine got a high mileage and no full service history?

iv just checked it and it rattles freely so definitely no problem there.

and the car has 129000 full service history.

it had a p3 service in April including trans oil

Just how much oil is it using?

it used 3/4 of a litre over 500miles

I would start with a compression test, and see what the results are.

okeydoki cheers Ricky ill get that arranged asap