Windscreen Washer Motor

Dicky

Posting this to help others who may get problems.

Neither the front nor rear windscreen wash worked on my car, and couldn't here the washer motors running.

Checked the supply fuse No 87, 10A located under the bonnet on the passanger side. You've got to remove the battery cover, the surrounding plastic cover into which it clips and the plastic assembly butting up to the windscreen. Take care as there's an inner plastic structure the slots under the windscreen which can break off as mine did. It attached by plastic welding and I had to remelt the connection points with a soldering iron.

The washer tank is located behind the inner wheel arch plastic cover on the drivers side. Remove the wheel and this cover to access the water bottle. Pull the filling tube out of bottle, remove three 10mm securing bolts one on top and centre two on the left hand side.Tthe head of the top bolt Faces away from you and behind the mounting bracket. I found it easier to cut a slot in the end of it and turn it out with a screwdriver. Remove the water outlet pipes by squeezing the plastick sides and pulling them off, water will flow out to catch it if you want to use it again. Remove two other water outlets by just pulling them off. There are two 12v water pumps one for the front and one the back windscreens and two pump connectors. Squeeze in the connector sides and pull them off. You can now remove the water bottle.

The two water pumps can be pulled out of the rubber mounting grommets.

I measured across the terminals of mine with a multi meter set tomOhms and got a reading of approx 2 ohms, indicating they weren't burnt out. Neither worked when I applied 12v from a spare battery I had. From this I could tell they were in fact both siezed. I sprayed WD40 at the pump shaft which can be seen down the pump water inlet tube, gave them a bit of a bang about with a pair of pliers and kept connecting them to my battery until they began to turn. I then squirted 3in1 oil at the pump shaft to further lubricate.

Of the two connecting plugs on the bottle one is Green the other White. Looking at the picture of both pumps and with the green connector at 12 o clock position the +ve is the RH terminal, also on the white Connector. Once the motors are freed up push them back into the rubber grommets and reassemble the whole lot back into the car.

Hope this helps and hope the photo bucket link works. I HATE PHOTO BUCKET. ITS NOT USER FRIENDLY.

image_1.jpeg

One or two predictive texts in there me thinks. Can't be my bad spulling! :)

PS it would seem you have to click on the picture to go to photobucket to see the other two.

Edited by Dicky