Speedo Broken after Head Unit Install

nimz

Hello,

So spent a few hours yesterday installing my new Pioneer SPH-da120 and was feeling pretty pleased with myself when it all fired up and worked as it should. That was short lived as when I went to go for a drive I noticed that my odometer / trip meter wasn't displaying correctly i.e. yit was lit up but only parts of the numbers are visible and worse, my analog and digital speedo wasn't working at all. Rev counter works fine.

As it was getting dark I opted to curse and leave it alone. Fast forward to this morning I pulled out a bit of the dash to check the wires at the back of the AC box were all fitted correctly and they seem to be ok. I then checked the fuses in the interior fuse box and they seem to be ok. Weirdly as I moved the car to get better access to these fuses I noticed that the speedo had started to work again, took it for a quick spin and the speedo seems ok however the odometer / trip computer is still failing to display correctly.

Has anyone got any idea what I might have have screwed up - is there a specific fuse I should be checking to see if it's blown? Although I'm guessing that if it's a fuse then the odo wouldn't display at all?

Cheers,

Rich

Pulled it all apart again, couldn't see any connectors loose on the white box but pulled them all out and made sure they were all tight. Put it all back together again and the speedo has stopped working again and the odometer problem remains. I'm at a bit of a loss now :shrug:

Pic below shows the problem with the odometer:

image.jpeg

That's odd. I had to dig around for some old reference pics, these show the speedo dismantled.

wua5TFP.png

CZfifOm.png

And now that I'm looking at it something comes to mind... This does sound kind of familiar and now. The white ribbon cable, it's a bitch to push the connector home, AND it's really fragile, I think in the past there were a few people who damaged it and had issues.

The reason I posted the picture is to note that there is a micro on the board. You are getting power to the speedo, you are showing something, it's just jumbled rubbish which is really odd. You'd think the micro is taking care of the conversion from CAN signal to number output on the display so why would it be possible to show a junk display. That is unless the micro does not take care of the display, and in-fact it comes direct wired from elsewhere, such as the glorious white box.

Forgive me for thinking out loud.

EDIT:

Actually... My memory on this is rusty and i'm thinking the white cable actually goes to the heater controls, so it's going to be another cable, connection. If you damage the white ribbon cable the heaters go mental (full blast hot).

EDIT2: On more reading, I'm thinking the white box is the AC control box... It's been so long it's hard to remember in my old age :wheelchair:

Edited by Husky

Thanks for your reply mate, I've done a lot of research on this trying to sort it and the VSS wire does indeed go through the white box which is the AC box, some people have said that knocking this wire can cause the speedo to go but I've had a look, it's definitely connected but I can only really check it visually.

• 4 months later...

Sorry no I still haven't managed to fix this. My next step is to send the speedo cluster away to be looked at, I just need to find a reputable company.

Probably would be easier, cheaper and quicker to find a Zed owner near by and ask nicely to swap clusters around to make sure it is faulty clutter? And then if it is, find a damaged Zed with similar mileage (I believe mileage stored in the cluster?) and just replace whole thing instead of trying to fix it? I'm sure Zedmanalex with have couple of spare ones, as well as Jon@Emperor, ClarkMotorsport or Keyser/Buster at Zed Shed.

Edited by Vlad