P0850 diagnostic code help please!

Boulderman1988

Hi, recently had my engine light come on and after diagnostic at cougar store the code is P0850 - park/neutral switch input circuit.

Cougar store couldn't offer any other advice as they said this is normally for cars with auto gearboxes, my car is manual.

Does anyone have any ideas? The light came on soon after having the box out so wondering if it's likely to be a switch damaged during the process - any relevant part numbers would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

ive done a quick search and found others with the same problem on 370zs and other cars when they have took out the gear box,

some are saying even manuals have this switch, something to do with the reverse light signal, and the cables were not plugged in right.

have a look at this thread.

http://www.the370z.c...switch-cel.html

Edited by MrMartinPGrant
  • Like 1

The quote below is from Nissan Forums

The neutral-safety switch is located on the bottom of the manual transmission, with a harness that runs to the connector on the top side of the transmission. It's a simple on-off switch that can be tested with an ohmmeter or continuity tester connected to the two pins in the harness connector and by shifting the trans in and out of gear. Rockauto.com has a picture of it on their site; search Airtex/Wells #1S5716. Replacement is pretty much put a drain bucket underneath the switch, unscrew the old one and install the new one, then top off the gear oil.

• Like 1

Brilliant thanks for the responses, kept finding info about Altima gearboxes on my search so clearly you both have better googling skills than me! Should be able to get cracking with a fix at the weekend, hopefully just not plugged in properly rather than broken...

Edited by Boulderman1988

• 5 weeks later...