Noisy rear suspension - Ohlins

westfield

Hello there,

My Z has ohlins suspension all round......the rear rattles like nobodies business on even the slightest uneven surface i.e most roads. When i say rattle dont mistake this for something minor....its loud and crashy. Its been in to my local garage and they find nothing wrong or loose anywhere, so they presume the rear units themselves.

The noise is present at any ride height and set at any firmness.....

I'd like to point the finger at the shocks themselves but they dont even have to compress to make the noise....as even driving over road markings makes the noise.

Only on the motorway do they shut up.......

Any ideas chaps ?

Flumuxed

Not sure how long its been on there. Its a 2003 import, which has only been in the UK for 3 months or so. The noise was present from day one. I've read other posts regarding the drivetrain etc, but this noise happens all the time even when coasting over uneven surfaces......the rear feels as if its damping properly but making clunky noises in the process. The fronts are silent......

60 thousand miles on the clock.....

Cheers

Ben

Sounds like the shock bush's are knackered..

Could also be rear axle if they're not greased or are worn?

Yes another possibility..also may even be the shocks ..I had a jeep once that rattled over bumps ..dampers were fine , only once removed from vehicle was it possible to tell they had to much initial travel before damping action came in..

• 10 months later...