Crank bolt removal

johnrw

Trying to get crankshaft bolt out of my HR.

Tried many different methods and my 800nm impact wrench will not touch it. Also bent my big breaker bar.

Have done many crank bolts over the years and never struggled this much.

Just wondering how the pro's out there do it. Is there any easy way of locking the flywheel or pulley? Everything I own will not fit.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

John

Edited by johnrw

John,

Do you mean crankshaft pulley bolt ?

If so just lock the fly to stop the crank from turning.

600mm decent brand breaker bar and an impact socket will complete the job.

However it is a 2 man operation.

Alex. :)

Hi Zmanalex,

Yeah I meant the crankshaft pulley bolt. Just wondering how you guys normally lock the flywheel. Non of the locking kits I have will fit. What do you normally do yo lock it?

Cheers,

John

There is a Nissan locking kit which works well, however I assume that you will not have this as most the Nissan garages do not have it either.

You can fabricate your own or lock the fly with a suitable tyre lever or a wedge shape piece of hardwood.

The locking can all be carried out by removing the R/H inspection plate on the bell housing opposite side from the starter motor, or remove the starter motor.

Very simple and even easier if a 2 man operation as the bolt is tight, however any of the above methods will work.

• Like 1

There is a Nissan locking kit which works well, however I assume that you will not have this as most the Nissan garages do not have it either.

You can fabricate your own or lock the fly with a suitable tyre lever or a wedge shape piece of hardwood.

The locking can all be carried out by removing the R/H inspection plate on the bell housing opposite side from the starter motor, or remove the starter motor.

Very simple and even easier if a 2 man operation as the bolt is tight, however any of the above methods will work.

Thanks,

Will give that a go. I saw the locking tool in the service manual they don't seem easily available. Will try the tyre lever method or make something in tool room at work. Last few I have done have been with impact wrench. To be honest the tyre lever is how I always did with the old mini and ford engines. I just get more paranoid about breaking things as I get older lol.

Cheers,

John

Impact wrench will not loosen this bolt I am afraid.

Good 600mm breaker bar with impact socket will do the trick.

If you are concerned about breaking a tooth then use the wedge of hardwood technique which works well, because the more that you turn the fly with the breaker bar, the more the wedge becomes lodged. :thumbs: