Dual mass, single mass flywheels question.

jjdugen

'06 rev up, 56,000 miles. (So far dodged the oil burning problems, runs like a train... Pretty unstoppable)

I've been reading up on the clutch system on the Z. The consensus seems to be that it is a bit of an Achilles heel. Mine is at 56K so is getting into the danger zone.

I can see the point of replacing the heavy dual mass with a lighter single mass flywheel, faster engine response, more robust etc. But it seems to come with some engine damping problems in that low rev chatter is intrusive.

Are there any heavier single mass flywheels that will give better engine damping?

I need to get my shopping list together for any necessary work needed to make it as bombproof as possible by next May (Nurburgring). Call me pessimistic, but if something is weak, that's when it will go!

I've factored in brake pads, tyres, fluids and still have enough in the piggy bank for a clutch job.

The Xtreme kit we sell for the DE models has been designed to minimise the idle chatter, its still present but is quieter than some other setups that I have tried over the years.

If you plan on driving the car hard then a SMF is a great upgrade and the small amount of noise you get won't be a worry.

• Like 2